Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Paranormal Activity

1. Paranormal Activity

From AICN:
    [Moriarty posts his Cloverfield review, then segues into this - Gas]

Even if watching CLOVERFIELD doesn’t make you actually vomit, there are people who seem to be almost angry about the entire “found footage” genre. Wait... I take that back. I don’t think you can call that a genre. It’s a device. A sort of a narrative framework. You can do pretty much anything with it... horror or comedy or drama or tearjerker or action film... it just depends on how clever you are about how you use the device. And I think it’s important that you be upfront with your audience... movies like this shouldn’t be sold as “real.” Yes, while you watch it, you’re meant to believe it as reality, but I think it’s important to be clear with people that your film is fiction before they sit down to watch it. I saw just how wrong that can go this year at BNAT when Tim League and I decided to introduce THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES as a documentary. I don’t care who you are... if you’re considering selling one of these films... listen to me. Do not lie to your audience. They don’t appreciate it. They don’t think it’s fun. They aren’t going to thank you for it later. Just tell them it’s fiction, and then let them enjoy it on that level. If it works as a film, it will work without you trying to set up an elaborate mythology and pull some big WAR OF THE WORLDS style gag on the viewer.

Case in point: I’m not sure who is going to buy PARANORMAL ACTIVITY after it screens at Slamdance, but I’m fairly sure someone will. It’s an accomplished little thriller that uses the “found footage” framework to tell a ghost story that is more effective than any remake of a Japanese ghost story that the studios have offered up in the last five years.

So when you buy it, Hypothetical Distributor, do yourself a favor. Right away, play it straight. When you sell it, use the actors. When you put up the website, don’t try to convince me it’s real. The thing about these viral games and this sort of “extended reality” thing is that you have to be careful. Too much of it can turn the audience against your film or create expectations your film can’t deliver. When people invested time and attention in all the online games for CLOVERFIELD (which wasn’t that much, truth be told... a few websites updated sporadically with a few cryptic bits and pieces), they built up this mythology that they thought was going to play out in the film. However, by the very nature of what kind of movie they set out to make, director Matt Reeves and writer Goddard and producer Abrams never planned to offer ANY answers, something which has infuriated some viewers.

Right now, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY does not have a page on the IMDb. Right now, the film has a very small web presence, and trying to find out any information about the writer/director can be maddening. I wanted to dig deeper and do some reading after seeing the film, but I ran into a wall. The film was shown twice at the Slamdance festival, on the 18th and the 20th, and it also played at Screamfest in LA back in October. But so far, it’s hard to find any information on it. This trailer was cut for the Slamdance screenings, and it’s a good representation of what to expect:

Evidently, there’s been some work done on the film since that Screamfest LA premiere, and what I saw is what’s playing now, the new version of the film. It’s tight, it’s genuinely scary, and I think it’s got real commercial potential. One thing it has going for it that CLOVERFIELD never quite got right is the empathy thing: star Katie Featherston makes you not only believe, but also give a shit. The film matters more because you care.

I know. Seems simple, right? The single biggest complaint about CLOVERFIELD is that nobody likes the kids that you’re supposed to follow through the movie. I’m a little surprised at just how much everyone hates them... they didn’t strike me as “rich fucking douchebags,” as I’ve seen many talkbacks describe them. But I don’t think any of the characters are defined enough or interesting enough to really pull you through the film. What works is the situation, not the people. In PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, it is essential that you like Katie because this isn’t a city-scaled disaster. This is something that is specifically happening to one person. This is a targeted haunting. It is an attempt to break her down, and the film demands that you feel what she feels in order for it to work completely.

The night after I watched this one, I gave the disc to my sister-in-law, who was on her way out to spend the night with her boyfriend. She’s a horror fan, and I was curious to see if something that has so little overt material in it, with no gore and no big-budget effects, could win her over. The next day, I saw her at lunch, and I asked her what she thought of it. She punched me in the chest, hard enough to bruise me, and told me that she didn’t sleep at all because of the movie, and neither did her boyfriend. She asked me if it was real, and for about two seconds, I wanted to play PT Barnum with her, but I believe what I said above... that’s a mistake. It just gets people mad later. So I explained that it’s just a movie, and the relief that poured off of her was practically visible. The movie really got under her skin.

It’s a film that really does play to the most basic and primal fears we have. Loss of control over our lives. Fear of the dark. Fear of the unknown. What happens when your home, the one place you should feel safest, suddenly becomes unsafe for you? Katie Featherston plays “Katie” in the film, and Micah Sloat plays “Micah.” They’re a young couple who are still fairly new to living together at the start of the film. Micah is the primary cameraman in the film, something that begins because Katie reveals to him, not long after they move in together, that she has experienced several strange things over the course of her life that could be described as “hauntings.” Now a few odd things have happened in their house, and she’s afraid it may be starting again. Micah’s fascinated, and he can’t help but view her problem as a project, something to solve or fix or just plain enjoy.

The film’s scares start small, but don’t be fooled into thinking this is going to be a case of never seeing anything. It may not be an effects-oriented film, and it may not deal in much gore... hell, I think this could get a PG if not for language... but the film definitely plays it straight and gives you a haunting for your $10. It delivers. There are still plenty of questions left to argue about after the film’s wrenching conclusion, but you’ll feel satisfied. It’s a real movie, with a real beginning, middle, and end.

And that’s the biggest trick with these found footage films... they have to play it “real,” but also adhere to certain conventions of narrative. They have to tell us a story with characters and all the devices of storytelling, and they have to do so in a way that never quite overtly acknowledges that a story is being told. That’s not easy. I sort of liked the way Drew Goddard and Matt Reeves handled flashbacks in CLOVERFIELD, with a glitch in the recording offering up an earlier day that had been taped over with the events of the film. They’re too perfectly timed, a little too perfectly written, but it’s a clever solution to a difficult problem. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY negotiates some of the trickier narrative stuff with ease, and the film never once feels like it’s straining against the restrictions of the device. It never felt to me like the film was trying to cheat. Everything you see could arguably have been taped by the characters this way, and I don’t really see anything here that pushes my credulity to the breaking point. Overall, this is one of those horror films that I would feel comfortable recommending to almost anyone, and that’s rare. The only caveat is “Do you want to be scared?” and if the answer is yes, then I’d say this film’s a safe bet.

I haven’t seen DIARY OF THE DEAD or [REC] or REDACTED yet, and I would imagine that there are many more “found footage” films in production or even in post already. I don’t think this device is going anywhere. I just hope that as more filmmakers try their hand at this type of storytelling, they tell stories that are worth telling. Otherwise, it’s just an empty exercise in technique, and at this point, that’s not enough to justify the time and effort.
    Hmm... like any movie of this kind, it looks to me like it could be good, or it could be really, really bad. The acting is gonna need to be fantastic to overcome the low-end effects (OMG the door shut itself oh noes!).
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 26 Jan 2008 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. This shit isn't scary, at best it's obnoxious. Let's not make handy-cam the new slow motion k?

3. This movie is slowly going into wide release, with more cities showing it every weekend. I just got back from seeing it and it was fucking awesome. Go see it now or you're an asshole.

It's similar to Blair Witch in how it was made but otherwise it has 100x the atmosphere, tension, humor and creep factor and unlike BW it actually has a great payoff at the end.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 12 Oct 2009 at 01:28 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. I never got interested enough in the premise to even see Blair Witch at any point. Growing up 200 yards from an indian burial mound = lol supernatural spookytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Blair Witch is a pretty weak movie. It's scares are hampered by the jumpy camerawork and bad sound. I'm still not sure what they were running from in that famous crying scene? Did something shake their tent? The only thing that Blair Witch had going for it, was it's pretty awesome ending.

Paranormal Activity builds tension better than most horror movies I've seen. Not much happens in the first... 40 minutes or so. That static image of their bed and the open door (who fucking sleeps with the door open?) is unsettling by itself. I think it's because half of the frame is filled with the bed, and the left side is just a void. When the camera lingers there that void starts to creep at you until seeing a door shift or hear their keys hit the floor downstairs is enough to jolt you. I mean, a lot of the tension for me came from just waiting for the damn door to slam. I mean you knew it was going to happen. The scariest part of the movie was near the end when Katie gets dragged out of bed.

The ending would have been better served if it ended maybe ten seconds sooner and wasn't ruined by the fucking trailer. Micah getting thrown at the camera was great--if it wasn't put in the FUCKING TRAILER--but Katie crawling over to him and demon face lunging at the camera like a Youtube screamer was absolutely retarded. It was just a cheap last minute scare. If I were Mr. Director, I would have had it end with Michah getting thrown at the camera, the camera falling and just revealing Katie in the doorway before hitting the ground and shutting off.

Also the Ouiji board setting itself on fire was fucking stupid as well

Aside from those two things, this is a really affecting movie. It doesn't shake you to the core or anything, but it chokes you with tension even if this sort of shit doesn't scare you at all

Oh, and they straight jack a scare straight from Rec.

*Update* -- I didn't realize this was filmed so long ago, maybe the attic scene wasn't just lifted from Rec
    Last edited by Mr-K; 12 Oct 2009 at 09:38 AM.

6. that wasnt the original ending btw. it was something they changed after spielberg got his hands in it

original ending: From here, the ending diverges: Kate walks into the bedroom covered in blood and holding a large butcher knife down at her side. She walks into the room very heavy and stiff-like. She walks right up to the camera so that the upper half of her body is in the shot (but she isn't staring into the camera or looking at you, she's sort of looking downward), and then she simply pulls up the knife and slashes her throat in one quick, graceful movement, and falls down on the ground. The camera keeps rolling so we just see an empty bedroom for a few seconds and then the camera shuts off and the movie ends.

And here was the 1st alternate ending shot; The version I saw had Kate standing over him, then she went down stairs and started screaming, then he went down after her. There was a bit of screaming from Micah, then Kate walks back upstairs covered in blood and holding a knife. She sits next to the bed and just rocks there for hours. You hear one of her friends call the house worried cause they haven't heard from her. Later the friend visits to check on them and you hear her scream downstairs. The camera is still on Kate who is still rocking having not moved the entire time. It fast forwards again and the police arrive. They come in the house find the body (again all off screen). They start calling for anyone who's inside to show themselves. Finally they make it up to the room where Kate still is. She stands up (with knife in hand) and goes toward the door asking for Micah and the police think she's dangerous and coming at them and shoot her. The movie basically fades to black with police scanner calls and what not.

7. Hm. I mean really, I don't dislike the ending that's in the movie, and I can understand why they would want to kill Micah on screen. It just goes too far after that with the booga booga face at the last second. It's fucking stupid

The original ending seems pretty cool, actually. The first alternate a bit convoluted. Although seeing her rock back and forth as the clock quickly ticks the hours away would be pretty creepy. But the police shooting her down is sort of stupid. At least it sounds stupid

I just talked to a co-worker who wasn't all that thrilled with it. She said she felt like it was jumpy, but ultimately not worth her money and she felt like she should have just downloaded it.

I don't know. A cam of what is basically a cam... eh. And I really don't know how well this movie will play at home.

This movie is *already* getting a backlash from its early acclaim. I swear, someone says it's the scariest or best movie ever and people are just going to become skeptical automatically.
    Last edited by Mr-K; 12 Oct 2009 at 10:59 AM.

8. Saw it again tonight with an insane crowd. This thing is selling out like crazy and audiences I've seen it with go apeshit when watching it. I predict that this may end up being the most financially successful indie horror film ever made (I think it only cost maybe $10-15,000 to make).

As for the ending- I agree that it was ruined by the trailer, which is unforgivable. The marketing guy who made that decision should have his balls stomped flat. Overall, though, I thought the ending was very effective. The ooga-booga face didn't bother me at all.

This movie and its success have me hyped, however. It's a great example of a film that didn't cost $150 million, has no major special effects, no big-name actors (and barely any actors at all), yet is generating buzz and gets audience reactions like no film I've seen in years. Do you think shit like Transformers 2 had this effect on people? It's creativity vs. big-budget Hollywood crap- you'll never see a film that costs millions that'll be allowed to take a chance on a concept that hasn't been focus-tested to appeal to everyone and anyone. Our entertainment salvation lies with cheap little nothing flicks like Paranormal Activity who can do whatever the fuck they want because they cost nothing to make and the director isn't getting fucked up the ass by studio head honchos during production. Paranormal Activity may not be perfect, but it does what it sets out to do to near-perfection. I welcome it as a breath of fresh air.

I thought Blair Witch's ending sucked, BTW. Oooh, he's standing in the corner! Ooh, she fall down, go boom! Lame. I don't mind being subtle, but come on, show us something.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 14 Oct 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Saw it again tonight with an insane crowd. This thing is selling out like crazy and audiences I've seen it with go apeshit when watching it. I predict that this may end up being the most financially successful indie horror film ever made (I think it only cost maybe $10-15,000 to make).
    Maybe percentage wise, but I mean, Blair Witch cleared like 250 million and was a world-wide phenomenon, I doubt that will happen with Paranormal Activity. Despite it being scarier overall. I thought the ending for Blair Witch was about the only scary thing about it

you'll never see a film that costs millions that'll be allowed to take a chance on a concept that hasn't been focus-tested to appeal to everyone and anyone.
    The ending for this one reeks of focus-testing, at least compared to the descriptions of the earlier ending. That's, really, my only contention with this movie. It's not an especially deep, or rich narrative but it builds suspense well and shows a great deal of restraint in its horror gags. So when the ouiji board catches fire or OOGA BOOGA BOOGA comes along, it stands out and it's too much. I mean come on, why would a angry demon attack a goddamn camera? The whole ending relies on "and now... IT'S COMING AFTER YOUUUUUU." Silly

10. Considering the quality of the rest of the movie, I have no problem with the ending. In fact, I think it works given the context. Everything leading up to the end was restrained and subtle, so a final "boo" worked, IMO. And why not peer into the camera? Micha's nonsense with the camera is basically what got the demon's attention in the first place.

The fact remains that is is a movie, and sometimes it's going to do movie-ish things. I'm just happy with that it did that was different. Besides, no one's ever seen these "alternate" endings. When footage appears online or on the DVD, then I'll buy into them. Until then they're just internet rumors.

Also, as far as my comment on PA being the most successful indie horror movie ever made, keep in mind that it only cost around 15 grand, where Blair Witch cost quite a bit more- I think the initial layout by the filmmakers was 25 grand, but there are different overall cost estimates. Supposedly after several edits, remixing the sound, creating prints to screen (DVD screeners weren't really around back in 1999) it's somewhere below 1 million.

Post-production work aside, however, I don't see how those fuckers spent one cent on that Blair Witch. I could make the same thing for nothing.

Also, Paranormal Activity hasn't reached full release yet. Who's to say what it's overall impact will be? Granted, it probably won't approach BW, but who knows?

BTW, nothing will convince me that Blair Witch's ending was either good or scary. I will admit that Heather running around the house screaming WAS rather creepy, but the final money shot was complete childish garbage. I can't really see how one can call that good and in the same breath condem PA's ending, which is similar, but 100x better in execution.

Also, did you get my reply to your PM? I sent it via my cell and it acted kinda loopy when I sent it. I wasn't sure if it got through.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 14 Oct 2009 at 01:05 PM.