Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Project I'm Working On.

1. A New Project I'm Working On.

Having mastered the web comic trade like no other I've recently been working on a project involving a blog and continuous learning exercises. Basically it's for graphic designers like me who have some web knowledge but want to learn everything hardcore. I'm going to be documenting my process. It's not a tutorial, per se, but a mish-mash of information (including tutorials and links to tutorials) to help everyone who wants to learn web design learn that subject with clarity, ease, inspiration and accuracy. I might also do a graphic design tutorial on things like Illustrator. Photoshop and Illustrator are huge programs that have basic functionality people need to know about when they're using it for actual projects. There's also a lot of stuff you really don't need to know about, especially when they're in there specifically for certain professions. Functional teaching, I guess you could say.

So if I buy a book on CSS and it sucks I'll be able to write up about it, why to avoid it and what they could have done better, and perhaps give an alternative to read instead. So instead of going through Amazon and reading a crappy review (out of context of learning a subject) everything will be connected in one continuous effort. I'll also be able to place that book in the Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced ranges for the audience. I'll also be interviewing notorious web designers to get their feedback and advice for everyone out there.

I'm a pretty good graphic designer, but I really want to learn the online realm more and it will help that I have experience webmastering on my old gaming site WrestlingGames.com (#1 wrestling game site on the internet including IGN and GameInformer circa 1999 - 2001). But I'm talking about hardcore CSS, PHP and MySQL.

Hopefully in the end it will end up helping people out, and keeping me motivated in my goals (because I'll have an audience to answer to).

Anyway I designed the logo so far (and the basic layout) for the website blog. Check it out. I'm hoping there's some interest for people to learn this stuff so we can keep it going along. So far I've gotten positive feedback about it but TNL is usually more open and honest.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headplusbrain-logo.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	30786  
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Jan 2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. (We don't know what we're doing) made me laugh more than Robobo ever did XD

I however, like the idea, the learning process is always an interesting thing to watch. Or read.

3. It seems like a pretty noble and interesting idea to me. One wonders, though, if there might not be some commercial avenue you'd take this down once (or if) it becomes popular enough.

I will use this.

also: i recognize that font. noob.

I don't like the spacing between the O and W in "how" either.

Other than that, sexy.

6. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    It seems like a pretty noble and interesting idea to me. One wonders, though, if there might not be some commercial avenue you'd take this down once (or if) it becomes popular enough.
    Once I'm done learning Web Design I plan on using the site to continue learning everything I want to. I want to learn Spanish. So this can be applied to doing that as well (helping people find good tutors, good reference on and offline, etc). I hate to use the term tutorial because it really isn't. It's like a guide of what to read (including tutorials, books, references, etc.) If it gets popular I'll put up ads. It's also pretty keen for book links to Amazon too. I mean, I WILL be writing tutorials if everyone else's are lame or aren't simple enough for beginners to follow... but that's only a small portion of the help I want to provide. But at its core I just want to learn web design and keep a log of my progress. Formatting it so others can learn is just my way of giving back to a community I plan on pilfering pretty badly along the way.

I absolutely fucking HATE it when I'm reading a tutorial and it casually drops pretty important information you need explained but assumes you know it (because it's such an afterthought to them). The less this happens when you're learning something the easier the transition is from noob to amateur to intermediate. Being a pro comes from experience, I've found from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't like the spacing between the O and W in "how" either.

Other than that, sexy.
    I kept the kerning pretty lazy because of the handwritten nature of the font. I think it's a free font I used which is probably why it's easily recognized. I'm not sure though, I just went through the library of fonts I already owned and found one that made the logo look less mediciny and more stylish.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 31 Jan 2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. This is the best idea anyone's ever had, Andrew. I look forward to future development.
    Donk

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

I absolutely fucking HATE it when I'm reading a tutorial and it casually drops pretty important information you need explained but assumes you know it (because it's such an afterthought to them).
    the photoshop bible is just one example of this. chapters 1-3ish are really simple shit and then suddenly they start producing some results without actually explaining them the whole way through.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Basically it's for graphic designers like me who have some web knowledge but want to learn everything hardcore.
    http://kirupa.com/, like site title says, a resource for making designers better developers.

Also, I love the idea, as an interactive developer who is admittedly pretty bad (but getting better) at design, I'll find it interesting to see the learning process in the exact opposite situation as me. Being a designer trying to become a better developer.

Good luck man, and if you need any help, resources, questions, comments, or whatever I'd love to support a project like this.

10. i have absolutely NO web skills or knowledge