Page 3600 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 35863596359835993600360136023604 ... LastLast
Results 35,991 to 36,000 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

The entirety of new orleans is probably not a good example. But rich people love the Garden District, Lake Terrace And Oaks, Audubon, Lakeview, New Aurora-English Turn, Uptown, Marlyville-Fontainebleau and the French Quarter. John Goodman, Dan Aykroyd, Brad Pitt, Nicholas Cage, etc all own homes there. There are multiple homes for sale, today, in the Garden District for 4 million. The French Quarter was back open for business way way before anything else after Katrina.

Is this like a cultural thing you guys don't get about southern cities? Memphis, Baltimore, Mobile, New Orleans all have ultra wealthy areas only blocks away from ultra poor areas. Memphis alone is like checkerboard of wealth and poverty.

2. And you know what? When that shit sinks, all those wealthy people will find new, exclusive places to love living in.

Probably. But given that they see things like Notre Dame and the French Quarter as part of their immortality projects, justifying everything they do in life, you would think they would care more, now.

4. This thread sucks.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The entirety of new orleans is probably not a good example. But rich people love the Garden District, Lake Terrace And Oaks, Audubon, Lakeview, New Aurora-English Turn, Uptown, Marlyville-Fontainebleau and the French Quarter. John Goodman, Dan Aykroyd, Brad Pitt, Nicholas Cage, etc all own homes there. There are multiple homes for sale, today, in the Garden District for 4 million. The French Quarter was back open for business way way before anything else after Katrina.

Is this like a cultural thing you guys don't get about southern cities? Memphis, Baltimore, Mobile, New Orleans all have ultra wealthy areas only blocks away from ultra poor areas. Memphis alone is like checkerboard of wealth and poverty.
    You're right. there's definitely rich areas in NO, Baltimore, etc. However, it's *usually* not a hub for people who are the literal ruling class. Like, billionaires. Not just actors and people who got rich from fairly recent endeavors. People from extremely wealthy, established, privileged families who are not only instrumental in their communities but on a worldwide scale. Like, the Sacklers, the Kochs, the Hearsts, etc. Those people will sometimes have houses in the South, but they don't *reside* there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Yes, but it justifies their wealth. It's the same mentality that allowed imperialism. That the peaks of some other person's acheivement justifies their accumulation of power and wealth. That in their head they are not a power monger or wealth hoarder but a protector of culture and by being a protector of culture their actions are justified and they will live forever by this endeavor.

It's part of why they hoard art and open museums. A part of them probably does think they are protecting the best of humanity and by protecting it they are just as part of history as the artists, ensuring some small sliver of immortality.

To disregard their children's futures and the culture that justifies their wealth is just a new level of madness or stupidity.

Not realizing the impact climate change will have on markets and supply chains is also stupidity.

Their legacy will be a horrid mess for their children. Everything they are doing will be worth nothing because their gains will not be sustainable for their offspring.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 07 Jun 2019 at 08:53 AM.

Really, I wouldn't be surprised if they all suffer from some form of addiction. Something as simple as having to maximize income to buy more drugs.

Normal and well adjusted people do not have such a low regard for their own kids.

8. Maybe they just aren't worried about where the shoreline will be a century after they're dead.

9. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Cheeks.

The poverty rate is double the national average.

You saw exactly how many shits we gave during Katrina.

Take the L here, man.
    I've done plenty of work in New Orleans. I consider Katrina the great cleansing of the city. The bad part was that all of those poor motherfuckers came to Texas and sat their lazy asses in hotel chains in cities like Houston.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    You're right. there's definitely rich areas in NO, Baltimore, etc. However, it's *usually* not a hub for people who are the literal ruling class. Like, billionaires. Not just actors and people who got rich from fairly recent endeavors. People from extremely wealthy, established, privileged families who are not only instrumental in their communities but on a worldwide scale. Like, the Sacklers, the Kochs, the Hearsts, etc. Those people will sometimes have houses in the South, but they don't *reside* there.
    Exactly!

Montana has/had tons of lumber industry and strip mining establishments throughout the state, but I highly doubt that the owners of those companies actually resided there.