Page 3530 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 351635263528352935303531353235343544 ... LastLast
Results 35,291 to 35,300 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Can I assume he is foriegn?

And that is an interface or hardware question, it doesn't necessarily have to do with the algorithm.

I guess it could be solved with an algorithm, but it wouldn't be the one used for product recommendation. It would be a different one that recognizes vocal patterns and then translates.
    That’s exactly it - the lecturer was speaking to the product recommendation algorithm and how this can be applied to other data fields, or like, how Netflix shows you shit you’d be more likely to watch due to how you rated stuff, etc. but this poor guy just wanted to know why his Alexa didn’t work :*(
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. I feel for the guy (even though it was completely the wrong forum to complain about that). I'm in a French Duolingo group with a friend from Sri Lanka. He speaks English quite clear, but his accent causes most of the vocal challenges on Duolingo to mark him as incorrect. Though his pronunciation... c'est tres terriblé.

Netflix-style machine learning is really interesting, and surprisingly not that hard! I went to a forum recently with professors proposing block-chain management of newly published literature. It's an interesting concept because it would make citations and pre-requisite readings traceable almost back to first principles.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Blockchain is the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Get a recording for Alexa saying "Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that question"

Also, I don't care how much programming you know, some of those people don't know anything outside of that. So you get irrelevant questions.
    I feel like some of these comments are needless. The kid might be stupid and not indicative of people that program?

I feel like everyone on TNL that knows how to code anything read Sat's comments and thought the same things I did. "why would he assume the same algorithm would be used?"

I have my doubts that the kid has ever taken a programming class, as breaking down processes into specifics steps that might each do a separate thing is pretty common in coding. In something like Objective C on an apple product, you would have predefined functions that you can use that do completely different things. In C++ you might write your own and then use them later, or use separate libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think programmers still benefit from the perception that it's a super hard thing that can only be done by really smart people, which was true decades ago. Today we have programmers who have no idea how a computer actually works, and development environments that can turn garbage code into functional software.
    If they have a traditional 4 year degree in computer science or computer engineering, your comments aren't true.

They should fire whoever made music play for every show preview you're watching on Netflix. Let me browse in fucking peace!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    If they have a traditional 4 year degree in computer science or computer engineering, your comments aren't true.
    If they had gills, they'd be fish.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    They should fire whoever made music play for every show preview you're watching on Netflix. Let me browse in fucking peace!
    This. Or put a little preview button on each card.

Both arguments are true about programmmers btw. It’s easier to get in to coding without knowing the fundamentals and do alright. But generally these people aren’t able to do sophisticated coding challenges and generally code simple REST programs. They won’t be coding the next Shazam or self driving Tesla.

But there are a lot of great comp sci or eng programs pumping out smart little shits that will find a way through or over any problem you give them. Data scientists and mathematicians are usually smarter than either of them btw.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 13 Feb 2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. recommendations are something that fascinate me on a technical level, but relatively easy for e-commerce because the data to make the suggestions is pretty much there already (price range, categorization, facet assignment/technical specs, common similar purchases, browsing and purchase history) and what's not there is easy enough to record to build the data set for future up sells

well there's my opinion on that subject

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Today we have programmers who have no idea how a computer actually works, and development environments that can turn garbage code into functional software.