Page 3549 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 353535453547354835493550355135533563 ... LastLast
Results 35,481 to 35,490 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

I know I sling this book a lot but arbm might enjoy the one on reactionary modernism (book has the same title). It explores how Germany was able to become a war machine, embracing science while willfully ignoring all of the social progress that came with it.

It's a good book, though dry. It will make you raise more than a few eyebrows on the right and the altright.

Also, I don't even know why the gender construct thing matters.

This is fucking America. If I have the fucking money and the desire I should be able to look like a woman. If I want people to call me a woman, then they should. I ain't spending 120 thousand on a rocking as and tits so you can call me Stan. This is the land of the fucking free.

If I spend a 120k on turning a car into a pickup, call it a fucking pickup.

It's like I'm surrounded by children. Roll with it mother fucker.

3. The only thing I really object to about subjective identity is the legislative enforcement of it. I also don't really enjoy the tactics left-leaning individuals tend to use to stifle speech around subjects they don't want to speak about (abortion in Canada is an issue that engaging in dialogue about will get you disbarred from a community, for example). Hate speech is a real thing that needs to be considered (racial slurs, sexist slurs, etc), but it should be used to tread lightly. I don't believe there is a cult of communists trying to destroy western values.

You're kind of a dick and a problem for me if you call a man "she" in a mocking tone—whether or not they're transgendered or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    The only thing I really object to about subjective identity is the legislative enforcement of it.
    We know

I also don't really enjoy the tactics left-leaning individuals tend to use to stifle speech around subjects they don't want to speak about (abortion in Canada is an issue that engaging in dialogue about will get you disbarred from a community, for example).
    I can't speak for Canada, but the left wants to make abortion less, not more of a taboo here. There's an entire movement encouraging women to be more open about discussing abortion since nearly 1 in 4 have had one. When you want something to be more accessible, you want to normalize it.

Not sure if I'm buying the idea that left are the ones keeping abortion taboo, my dude.

He means they want to make conversation on conservative ideas taboo.

He's not wrong. There is a sizeable number of liberals that want to punish extreme conservative comments.

Like the teacher that made the aids comment before get on flight to arfrica. Or that 9ther teacher that said female student aids were more emotional as some shut Oldman joke.

There are people that won't stop at calling them as Sholes or boycotting their classes. They want them fired. Ruined. No food or house payment for you.

6. I get that, but I still think the left (here) wants to have The Abortion Conversation more, not less.

Not so much more as they want old white conservative men to shut up. And their wives. They can shut up too.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    If I spend a 120k on turning a car into a pickup, call it a fucking pickup.

It's like I'm surrounded by children. Roll with it mother fucker.
    Like? You are surrounded by children. That said: Nice pickup.

9. Some goddamn day I will learn to trust my fucking instincts.

Long story short, some dirty ass white people came in to sell a dirty ass system and games. I bought the stuff despite really not wanting to because reasons. I start vacuuming the vents of the system out and a roach gets about halfway out of the vent before getting stuck. It was dead, but I don't give a fuck. Triple bagged the system and gave it the heave ho.

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    1. Nobody has been a postmodernist since 1995, so anyone complaining about postmodernism corrupting the academy might as well argue Rock and Roll Music is corrupting kids. Critical theory has long since recognized that saying everything is constructed discursively/culturally insufficiently attends to actual human bodies, so it made a turn and made everything about "the body." Holy lord the ink spilled on "the body" in the '00s. Then it fatigued that and moved on when it realized making everything about "the body" insufficiently attended to material stuff that isn't human (or even living) which is kinda where it is now, two epochs and forty years past "postmodernism" and "everything is a construct." Peterson's idea that humanities departments never got over or are uncritical of Foucault is hilarious.
    Right??? It's a complete fantasy that we're all some doe-eyed simpletons who desperately clutch onto these outmoded theories while walking off the cliff of causality or something. This demonization of the humanities by old white dudes is fuckin' hilarious.

Biology is going to get us past social constructs? Biology can't even prove that the point where we distinguish a living thing from a non-living thing isn't socially constructed. Is a virus alive or not? You dunno? You can't show me how LIVING and NOT LIVING, the most fundamental ontological distinction in biology, isn't discursively and arbitrarily made? You're going to abandon the idea of social constructs, burn all the Jameson and de Beauvoir, defund the humanities, and put all your faith in the science that studies life and admits it can't tell you what life is? You're going to tell me biology is absolute, non-relative truth when it's an -ology that has to concede, "Well, what counts as 'bio-' depends on who ya ask." You're going to insist on the existence of culturally independent truths when you can't show me how life, LIFE isn't a relative, cultural construct?

Godspeed, y'all. Tell the lobsters I said hi.

Nobody is gonna read this but that felt good sorry I needed this sorry.

No more Peterson posts for at least a month, promise.
    nah this was great, lol! keep going!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread