Page 3096 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 308230923094309530963097309831003110 ... LastLast
Results 30,951 to 30,960 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

I wonder what kind of egg hatches when Yoshi eats Taco Bell.

2. a rotten one.

What's bugging me today is political advertisement meta discussion.

When I listen to live local radio, it isn't a music station, so this is the ultimate background behind every other talking point if it isn't the direct subject at hand. When I contemplate it at any length it all seems so completely pointless. The money wouldn't be spent if it wasn't proven to have some kind of return on the investment, but I struggle in vain to think of the most recent time where a political advertisement actually affected an outcome of a race. The talk is always about how much money flies around, how much each candidate has in their war chest, and how negative the ads all are and what a shame it is for it to be that way, &c., and that merry go round spins on and on. Then the polling time comes and people shuffle to the box to vote straight party tickets, or based on which name they recognize more, or because the name is listed first in the category, or any other number of aspects of which none are influenced by political advertisements.

I can't think of a single time that I heard a single person say something along the lines of "I was going to vote for this guy, but then I heard that ad, and I said 'no way' and voted for the other guy instead." If anything, I would be disheartened to hear someone make such an admission. Yet, that's the intent behind all this spending to begin with, isn't it?

I wouldn't mind being paid thousands of dollars to create an ad which few people hear, less care about, and can't be proven to have any affect on the outcome of a race.

5. I saw an ad last night stating that the opposing candidate "Hates women because he voted to let a sex offender out on parole!"
    Shit is ludicrous.
    I don't think they are meant to sway anyone, I think they're meant to solidify the base and incentivize old folks (because young folks don't pay attention to it) to getting their old bones down to the voting place.

Lots of political ads on Youtube here in SoFla with angry Hispanic ladies. They're awful!
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

There is one that always plays for LA. It's like every 3 videos. It's bad enough that I might vote against the add for spite.

I had a Craigslist deal and I was asked to meet at Burger King and nothing. I emailed him back and said sir I don't do business like this, he can keep his games.

9. I saw a (supposedly) homeless guy with a kitty that looked like mine

After going through a billion thoughts about what I value more, the hypocrisy of fearing for the animal over the human, etc etc, I didn't know if the only thing I could have done to make me not feel completely awful was to see if I could buy the cat for a lot of money (which I didn't).
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 24 Oct 2014 at 03:21 PM.

10. My roommate of the last five years has suffered liver problems for years. He's had two transplants, and this year he's been having trouble again, hospitalized numberous times for jaundice.

After the last hospitalization he was told to get on the list for another new liver. Since then, he's been yellow, bordering on green, walking with a cane, and generally feeling like shit, but otherwise functional. On Monday, a friend of his came to visit, and he was very confused and kind of incoherent in his speech. I assumed he was getting high or on pain meds and I would have a talk with him about this when he sobered up. More friends came to visit the next day and this time he wouldn't even come out of his room. I talked to him later that night through his door and still fucked up. I asked if took anything and he said "Of course I did." Again I waited for morning to see if he'd sober up, but I was getting very concerned.

The next morning me and my roommate knocked on his door. Still messed up. Obviously at this point it's not drugs, his mind is going because he's so sick. We spend about 40 minutes trying to walk him through the process of sitting up, standing, and then unlocking his door. Eventually he manages to do this and I rush him right to the only hospital in the state with a liver transplant center.

They take one look at him and rush him inside without a wait. They tell me he's the worst they've ever seen, at least in terms of first impressions. After things calm down, I ask the doctor how he is, and he said I got him there in time, and they should be able to stabilize him, but he needs a new liver. Which I already knew.

Today I get the call that he has been rejected for candidacy for a new liver. Initially they told me he had two to three days, but now they say they're really not sure how long he'll last, maybe weeks or even months, but the end result is the same: Without a new liver, he can't live. His rejection is not shocking; He was lucky to get the last one, and he abused the shit out of it with drinking, drugs, and occasional lapses in his medication. If I was the person who had to choose who would make best use of a donated liver, I would certainly not put Jake high on the list. But nonetheless, this is heavy stuff. He was naively optimistic about his recovery throughout this whole thing, and I guess I never realized just how bad it was myself.