Page 3529 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 351535253527352835293530353135333543 ... LastLast
Results 35,281 to 35,290 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

1. Shit like that makes me glad I don't work anywhere that sells nerd stuff.
    You act as though payback makes you a noble man, is that a fact?
    Well, you're a goddamn Philistine!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I took the fucking things apart and showed him the boards even.
    He’s saying leaf green and fire read should have marking that are only on ruby/sapphire/ emerald. I’m like, no, but cant argue with a fucking nerd.
    lol That's just a level of autism you can't compete with my man. I had a guy seriously tell me Nintendo only made 1000 NES 2 units in the U.S. so it was a very super rare item. <_>
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

I had to see the any given Sunday video again

4. LOL I'm surprised we haven't had to watch it more lately.

I just went to a really interesting seminar featuring a well renowned individual from France who studies the theoretical process behind algorithms for various websites (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) It was pretty academic stuff, not necessarily focusing on the programming itself but the process to DETERMINE the process. At the end where you ask questions, this one totally STEM-y bro asked (completely seriously,) "How can these algorithms work if Alexa won't understand Indian accents? It's a known issue with Amazon, and I can't get Alexa to recommend me any relevant items."

The room was like "....."
    The lecturer was like "........"
    I was like "........" and trying really hard not to laugh. It was so awkward and the lecturer had to explain that he didn't actually have any input on the data used for different companies, he was just using it for academic purposes and to study the process. I mean, I feel for the guy, but what a strange thing to ask......
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. A better response would have been "I'm sorry sir, but I couldn't understand a single word you just said."

Can I assume he is foriegn?

And that is an interface or hardware question, it doesn't necessarily have to do with the algorithm.

I guess it could be solved with an algorithm, but it wouldn't be the one used for product recommendation. It would be a different one that recognizes vocal patterns and then translates.

Speak English gooder

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    A better response would have been "I'm sorry sir, but I couldn't understand a single word you just said."
    Get a recording for Alexa saying "Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that question"

Also, I don't care how much programming you know, some of those people don't know anything outside of that. So you get irrelevant questions.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 12 Feb 2018 at 06:55 PM.

9. I think programmers still benefit from the perception that it's a super hard thing that can only be done by really smart people, which was true decades ago. Today we have programmers who have no idea how a computer actually works, and development environments that can turn garbage code into functional software.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    A better response would have been "I'm sorry sir, but I couldn't understand a single word you just said."
    lol fuck

And yeah, he was East Asian (assuming Indian from the questions asked.) there were a few people that couldn’t get past the non-tech aspects - these people speak in code and the theoretical is really, really hard to grasp for them. I’m the opposite - I don’t know a single line of code but the theoretical process is totally fascinating and very graspable. I kind of wonder how Data Sciences are going to deal with this as the field grows - I know there’s a differentiation between qualitative and quantitative applications but it seems like there are some people who just cannot grasp the other side. Weird, but interesting! And, you know, sometimes hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread