Page 3608 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 35943604360636073608360936103612 ... LastLast
Results 36,071 to 36,080 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

I wish

2. The Frontier flight I took was better than most flights I've had.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

3. Just found out that a Saturn that was traded in loose forever ago was roached.
    Nothing lively inside, just husks. But now I'm itchy all over and I'm torn. On one hand I want to toss that thing out and try to forget I ever had it. One the other, it works. I can't just throw out a working Saturn.
    ugh..
    itch..

Gross, I don't think I could toss a working Saturn. Maybe drown it in alcohol for a few days or something?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    This is exactly what I saw in Ireland, and this is exactly what I thought while I was looking at it. The U.S. is not the greatest country in the world anymore. In fact, we're being left in the dust in many ways.

All while I was in Ireland - I did a tour of multiple cities and towns, big and small, and marveled at how pristine and well-maintained each one was - I was picturing Irish tourists visiting the States and probably wondering why they came to this festering cesspool of pothole-encrusted, garbage-strewn roadways packed with sweaty slobs driving beat-up Chevys and leaning on their horns and cursing non-stop while on the way home with a big load of frozen pizzas they got on sale at Walmart.

In contrast, as you said, I don't think cars in Ireland even HAVE horns. We were in a HUGE tour bus - the driver operated this thing through the at-times tiny streets like a surgeon with a scalpel - and we ran into several instances where we had a tight turn with cars coming the other way. And these cars would actually STOP and POLITELY BACK UP or MOVE INTO THE SHOULDER so the bus could make the turn, and then give the bus driver a friendly wave as we passed by. And this happened EVERY SINGLE TIME. In the States, we all know what would have happened...the drivers would have aggressively stood their ground or even advanced while honking non-stop and shit would be at a standstill. I was shocked by how absolutely civil every Irish driver was.

I mean, I'm sure Europe is loaded with their own shitty areas/people, but I looked hard and didn't see any. One night my girlfriend spilled some fish oil on some of her clothes (don't ask) and needed to do some laundry, and since were were leaving for the next town in the morning the only option was a 24-hour outdoor self-serve launderette (yes, they actually have these) in the parking lot of a gas station late at night. So we're sitting there on a bench drinking coffee and I'm looking around the parking lot, and it's SPOTLESS. Every inch literally looked like it had been swept and power-washed moments before (the same went for the surrounding neighborhood). Meanwhile I was on edge because we're sitting alone in the middle of parking lot at night and we had zero issues except for maybe a guy who I at first thought would be a problem (because he approached us with one hand behind his back) but ended up just being an extremely polite chap who just looking for his lost house keys.

*sigh*
    Where I work we often host events. Nothing too extravagant but there’s food, wine, and beer. A few months ago a couple of uninvited guests that looked a little down on their luck found their way in. Clearly there to grab a few free snacks and drinks. It happens fairly regularly. Normally we’d just hand them a to-go container and ask them grab a few things and leave. This time the two Americans in the group spotted them. The approach was night and day: loudly threatening to call the cops, stating loudly they were trespassing, ordering them to drop the food, etc. like they were cops or something. The office manager ended up asking them to back off while she handled it w the normal finesse.

Americans have a manifest destiny expectation about them that’s often annoying. It underpins everything from stand your ground laws to very way the news is reported. Often it presents itself as no presence compassion or empathy at all.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 08 Sep 2019 at 12:33 PM.

6. I can certainly understand why others would view us in that light.

Well, not ME, of course. I'm wonderful. But Americans in general, yeah.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Where I work we often host events. Nothing too extravagant but there’s food, wine, and beer. A few months ago a couple of uninvited guests that looked a little down on their luck found their way in. Clearly there to grab a few free snacks and drinks. It happens fairly regularly. Normally we’d just hand them a to-go container and ask them grab a few things and leave. This time the two Americans in the group spotted them. The approach was night and day: loudly threatening to call the cops, stating loudly they were trespassing, ordering them to drop the food, etc. like they were cops or something. The office manager ended up asking them to back off while she handled it w the normal finesse.

Americans have a manifest destiny expectation about them that’s often annoying. It underpins everything from stand your ground laws to very way the news is reported. Often it presents itself as no presence compassion or empathy at all.
    Your post is super cheekian. Generalising all americans because of 2 people?

Americans definently have a culture of promoting assholes. Somehow most of our business are ran by assholes and people promote their own.

But I know for a fact that many Americans would also be polite. Most American women and 50 to 75 % of men don't act as you sescribed

8. You just can't out-cheek the professor!

9. Manifest Destiny better applies to the uninvited helping themselves to your food and drinks, no?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

It's almost as if we are told from the moment we drop out of the womb that if we just work hard enough, we'll become millionaires and marry supermodels and everything will be hunky dory. It creates a culture where we overcompensate for every minor interaction by stomping on everything and taking up as much space as possible. America has inserted itself into every major event in the past 100 years because ITS VOICE HAS TO BE HEARD NO MATTER WHAT

I don't fault the individual, unless they are being just a complete an utter asshole. Did the people get some food and wine?

Unrelated related European revelation after visiting Mauthausen: yeah so, those prisons at the border? Those are concentration camps. Fight me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread