Thread: Laptop USB ports don't work - help pls

1. Laptop USB ports don't work - help pls

I can't connect anything to any of my USB ports - mp3, flash drives, camera, printer, you name it.

Control panel says the devices are working properly, and I've got the best software updates available. But when I connect a device, I get a message saying "The computer cannot communicate with the device." wtf.

This is really irritating. I hope it's something obvious that I'm overlooking. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. Only thing I have ever come across and it has come across frequently is that when you connect a USB device and it is not recognized I have to change the actual drive letter of my drive so it doesn't conflict with existing drives. Right click my computer and choose manage. Go into disk management and right click your non discovered device and change the drive letter. That works for me with thumb drives, other than that I would have to some researchies...

3. Did they ever work? See if rolling back your drivers helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Thanks guys.

The ports did work, but just suddenly stopped. They recognize that devices are plugged in, but I can't access them. I get "the printer cannot communicate with the computer" type messages.

I tried rolling back the drivers, with no luck. Could ALL my ports have died somehow? How can I replace them?

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

5. Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic View Post
    Thanks guys.

The ports did work, but just suddenly stopped. They recognize that devices are plugged in, but I can't access them. I get "the printer cannot communicate with the computer" type messages.

I tried rolling back the drivers, with no luck. Could ALL my ports have died somehow? How can I replace them?
    If you have a thumb drive plug it in and see if you can access it. As far as USB printers are concerned I would just double check you are trying to print using the correct port ala USB1/USB2.