Thread: VMWARE

1. VMWARE

Yeah it's been awhile but I just have gotten into it... This software from a IT test perspective is incredible. I installed it on a server at work and haven't stopped playing with it since. Any experts out there that can wack me with some knowledge? I tried to convert a current crm server (Customer Relation Management, XP Pro SP2) and it worked fine till I tried to boot it in the VMWARE server v1.4... blue screen.... I can only assume because of hardware. But I am a noob so if anyone has done this before and can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

2. We've been using this at my place of employment and its outstanding. The more you use it the more uses you find for it.

I wish I could drop some knowledge for you on your current problem. But I could see where Windows would have issues. We've never taken existing servers and created snapshots out of them.

We just used VMware to do a novell to windows AD transition last month. We went down there with VMware and a VM of windows server 2003. Imported all their groupwise mail into exchange2003. So that we could then import it into exchange2007. As there was no way to do a straight mail conversion from groupwise to 2007.

The overhead on a box is almost non existent. Its truly amazing software. I use the vmfusion on my macbook pro to run windows seemlessly. I'm bouncing back and forth between the 2 without no slowdown.
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

3. a straight conversion may be a problem due to drivers and differences between hardware and possibly even software configuration based on the hardware

you are probably better off doing an xp image and then restoring the application data from backup or doing a full app reinstall

4. vmware is aces for development but fuck trying to do any actual work on it (at least in my experience...) transferring and thumbnailing about 10,000 images from a database to the filesystem, a job that took about 3 minutes on my native hardware, took upwards of 20 in a virtual machine

other than that, yeah vmware is pretty sweet