Thread: Network Hard Drive

1. Network Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822204059

Would something like this allow me to access my media anywhere without having a PC connected and on?

Would I be able to set a partition for public access by anyone over the web?

I want something easy to use. Is there a cheaper or easier option for me to have access to all my media available? Would one of those MyBook drives be a better option?

If so, I think I'm going to pick this up. Suggestions?
    Last edited by salt_peanuts; 08 Feb 2008 at 04:27 AM.

2. 1) Yes
    2) Not on it's own but you can setup a FTP site on one of your computers and point the home dir to your NAS.
    3) I have been looking for a NAS solution for my place for awhile and haven't exactly found it. My budget is around 100-150 and you can get a few good models for that price range. Just make sure you read the reviews. Speed is usually the big pitfall for the lower priced NAS solutions.

3. What's avaliable for $100-$150? Links?

I read in the reviews this had an Itunes server.....I assume that means I can load my mp3's on it and access my music from any pc connected to the internet and with Itunes installed?

4. We use buffalo for NAS on the cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...me=NAS+Storage

If you have any IDE hard drives laying around OfficeMax sells a Netdisk enclosure for $30. It will turn any internal IDE harddrive into a networkable device. Of course, it's not as hardcore as the other stuff mentioned, but it will do the job on the cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. Thanks guys. I may go with the netdisk enclosure and just put a drive in myself. I'll still need backup software though.