Page 13 of 185 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS Thread

1. Yeah, I was looking at Sonic Rush Adventure yesterday at Best Buy but didn't pull the trigger. It's two screens and I don't really like Sonic anyway.

But going to Best Buy was part of the reason I made the post in the first place. I decided to look at the DS section for a minute and it's basically a sea of crap. IMAGINE BABYZ, some 30-in-1 game that looked like those 99 cent CDs you find in the super lame PC section, Zack and Cody Suite Life Disney crap, more licensed garbage...TBH, that's why I looked at Sonic as it was about the only game worth thinking about buying.

Thanks for the recommendations; some of those slipped my mind. And yeah, I had a GBA. Why no go on Arkanoid? The screen setup? Part of what I noticed was that the playfield was very narrow, which made me afraid the game might be too easy.

I have to finish NG2 (which I JUST started) before thinking about the DS one but what's a litte off-putting is going from a 360 game that looks great and is balls to walls to a semi-3D DS game, even if it's a lot different.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 15 Jun 2008 at 02:58 PM.

2. Did you play NG, Joust? It's kind of a pushover on normal, but it's a lot of fun on hard mode. I thought the control would be ass but I was surprised how well it worked and how much fun I had with the game.

3. No, and I haven't read much about it. For what I understand, most (?) people have been disappoited with it, which to me signals DS disaster.

The thing is, it could be fun and all (I heard there was a demo but I probably need a Wii, which I am definitely not buying), but I can't think of another system where people go ga-ga over everything. Not trying to sound like a douchebag, but it's almost like expectation/standards goes out the window because you can carry the system with you or something.

Don't get me wrong, I am not disappointed I bought the system...it's just that there really aren't that many good games, and the ratio (which doesn't really matter, but it seems like it does) of good:bad is abysmal...like GBC bad.

To TNL's credit, they don't seem to follow everyone else's stance on the DS being some holy grail for gaming.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 15 Jun 2008 at 03:15 PM.

4. You know what I hate? The FFT Advance series.

5. I second the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan nomination, but then again I'm a total sucker for music games. Ouendan 1's soundtrack is the most consistently good, but the gameplay was refined to perfection in EBA and Ouendan 2.

If you're looking to use the GBA slot, Astro Boy is the best thing Treasure has done since Radiant Silvergun. Keep in mind I'm not a fan of Ikaruga.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife is also worth picking up. The later levels require speed, precision, and a depth of focus that very few games dare to ask for. I felt like the king of the fucking world when I beat the final level.

James

6. I'm shocked, Joust.

Contra and other such 2-screen action games do take a bit of extra coordination, but they're very well done IMO. Sonic and Yoshi's Island DS aren't half bad, but they do wrestle with that a bit.

Mario 64 looks better than the N64 version (no blur) and gives you a bit more to do, if you like the game in the first place. Played better on the "fat boy" DS with the thumb-nub, though.

I hear good things about Meteos. Metroid Prime Hunters blows, Zelda is pretty busted but I still want to finish the game, and if you're going to get into GBA games, Drill Dozer for real.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 15 Jun 2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. I had no trouble with the d-pad for SM64. I understand that I'm in the minority, but I had a lot of fun with it. Meteos is a pretty lousy single player game.

GBA, yes, but Drill Dozer is the shit and I'm so glad that everyone on TNL seems to know it. Also, The World Ends with You is worth a look. If you are a grandma like me and enjoy completing sudoku puzzles to sleepy music, I suggest Sudoku Gridmaster. I got it for $20 years ago and I still haven't finished every puzzle in it. There are a lot of them and entering numbers by hand makes it actually tolerable to play a video game version. Imagine that!

8. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ouendan

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Astro Boy

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    ~ Drill Dozer ~ for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post
    ~ Drill Dozer ~ is the shit

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    EBA and Ouendan 2.

9. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Trauma Center: Under the Knife is also worth picking up. The later levels require speed, precision, and a depth of focus that very few games dare to ask for. I felt like the king of the fucking world when I beat the final level.
    Seriously, the game is that bad ass. It has a bizarre story but the game play is amazing. It really captured that old school feel with it getting really difficult from about half way through but not because it was cheap. It requires that zen like state to master the levels like so many 8/16 bit games did in the past.

Yeah, Trauma Center is great.

I mentioned this in the IRC channel, Joust, but Bust-A-Move DS is excellent. It's one of the rare games where touchscreen controls actually improve upon a pre-existing game design. The slingshot mechanic lets you fling bubbles faster and more accurately than the old rotation system ever did.

I don't mind Arkanoid. I imported it along with my paddle controller and don't really regret it. The constrained play space is a strange move, but you get used to everything. Even the gap isn't that much of a problem since the blocks are always only on the top screen. It can be a little easy if you're a lamer and use the barriers, but your score will suck ass unless you play with no barriers.