Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Boston 2008

1. Anime Boston 2008

It's next month. Who's going to this?! This year will be awesome! They just announced today that the pillows and Luv and Response will be performing along with MC Frontalot and tokyo pinsalocks who were already announced before. From no real musical acts (aside that one year Yoko Ishida was there) to FOUR! Are you okay?! GET SERIOUS!

2. Jeez. I'm, uh, kind of always here, but I don't really know if I'd be down for going to the con. I know people jizz themselves over The Pillows but I'm not crazy about them. I'd be up for hanging out with whoever's around, though.

Because, y'know, I'm always here. I heard nasty things about the AB gameroom. If they had an Otakon-y gameroom, I'd show up for the con for that alone.

3. I'm not too familiar with the pillows, myself (not big on J-Rock, but I remember hearing their name mentioned in that J-Pop thread). But I liked what I saw on youtube for Luv and Response and Frontalot.

I've only ever been to Anime Boston, so the AB gameroom was fine for me and my friends. All we actually did at the con was stay there all day and played 3rd Strike... Though it looks like some effort will be made to catch some of the musical acts this year.

4. Yeah, but... all we do in my apartment when we have free time is sit around and play 3S as it is. I'm not gonna register just to do that a couple stops away.

Otakon usually has a bunch of guys bringing MVS cabs and neat crap, all kinds of stuff hooked up to superguns, and other stuff I wouldn't get to see otherwise. It was how I got to play SvC Chaos right when it landed (oh boy) and the only way I would have got to touch Hokuto no Ken before the PS2 release. Also how I discovered my love for Asuka 120% Limited!

I'll check out the other bands and see what the con schedule is like, though.

5. The gameroom is...not all that great. I was there for the 3S tournament last year. The format sucked and the "mystery prize" was a .hack shirt. The "mystery prize" for DDR was a Wii to put that into perspective.

6. Yeah. They like to channel all the good prizes towards them music games. Who did you use in the 3s tourney? I was using Yang. I lost in the 2nd round if I remember right because my wakeup Tenshin didn't come out to beat my opponent's Denjin...

7. Oh, that's cute. Any of you guys been to Tokyo Game Action? I don't have a car in the state so I've never been able to make it happen, but I wonder what the scene there is like for the non-overly-channy fighting games. Assuming they have any. I'm sure Dipstick could weigh in on this.

8. I've only been there once since they moved to MA. It's a great place. It was crazy when I went (it was during a ranbat). Not sure how many people are there on a normal day though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mikhal View Post
    Yeah. They like to channel all the good prizes towards them music games. Who did you use in the 3s tourney? I was using Yang. I lost in the 2nd round if I remember right because my wakeup Tenshin didn't come out to beat my opponent's Denjin...
    I was the pasty guy who won it with Chun Li and had to borrow a stick every match. Did you lose that match to a Ryu player? I seem to remember a Yun getting robbed by a shoto.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post
    Oh, that's cute. Any of you guys been to Tokyo Game Action? I don't have a car in the state so I've never been able to make it happen, but I wonder what the scene there is like for the non-overly-channy fighting games. Assuming they have any. I'm sure Dipstick could weigh in on this.

Grave, TGA is rad. They have every fighting game worth playing on head-to-head candy cabinets and their tournaments draw the best players in the area. I haven't been since the summer, but last I checked they had:

Third Strike
    Super Turbo
    CvS2
    GGXX: AC
    MvC2
    Melty Blood : Act Cadenza v. B
    The Rumblefish 2
    Tekken 5 : DR

Their music game selection is also pretty extensive if you're into that.

10. Whoa! I really wanna try TRF2. If I can get my ass out there the next time they do a 3S tournament or whatever I'd probably go just to watch. My one roommate and I are super shitty at it.