Page 13 of 618 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Gears of War 2: Official Thread

1. omg exposed

2. Robo > Razor, plz blv

3. Please. I have LEGENDARY on my side. You've seen it in action.

4. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    I doubt it, there'd be no reason to pick up Gears PC. They're probably not even that good anyway.
    Well, that blows. I guess they dont like money, because Im sure it would sell pretty well for a download. A lot better than the PC version would imo. Everyone who wanted to play Gears picked it up for 360.Nobody wants to buy it twice for a few new levels. A quick download on the other hand....

GOTTA HAVE MOAR BRUMAK ROBO! CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH!

5. I'd kill a Brumak with you.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    I'd kill a Brumak with you.
    Yes! At the very least, we'll have to form a Brumak hunting team for Gears 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    wah wah Gears takes no skill wah.
    If the game takes no skill, why is it that every time we pick up another noob to join in the Gears crew, he gets dominated for a few weeks before he learns how to hold his own?

Maybe it's because there's more to being good at Gears than simply being the best shot; it helps, but there are plenty of ways to win without being a good shot, and that makes for a much more fun, varied shooter than Halo's "let's all get butt rifles and circle strafe/burst fire ad naseam" style.
    Last edited by jyoung; 10 May 2008 at 08:10 PM.

8. ROFL! Get 'em Weeman, douse him with your dick gravy and make him a believer!

Halo and gears have different types of strategy and to dismiss either whole heartedly is foolish. The one thing you can say for gears is that you have one life to play with per round, as opposed to the endless spawns of halo.

That trailer is gnarly doods! I don't believe I have ever wanted a summer to fly by before this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by wEEman33 View Post
    If the game takes no skill, why is it that every time we pick up another noob to join in the Gears crew, he gets dominated for a few weeks before he learns how to hold his own?
    Well obviously it's going to take time to learn how to play a game, especially if you are just going to learn by straight monkeying around without your teammates actively trying to teach you. It could also be that they're not very good at shooting games in general and don't have an active desire to get better. If you get someone that is good at FPS games to pick up Gears for the first time, he will hit the skill cap in Gears within a month. Really the only thing that requires much practice is shotgunning from the hip with good movement, especially since no other game has that sliding mechanic. Otherwise, as far as strategy, for a game being touted as a "fast tactical shooter" the map-specific strategies are limited and in fact online, most of them revolve around using (or abusing) host if it's on your team.

Just look at it this way: in any FPS game with objectives, a "different skillset" than just aiming skill is required. However, most of that is just experience and knowledge of the map and gametype. You can only ever be as good as your slaying ability will allow, since in the end, you're going to have to kill your enemies to achieve the objective. And in Gears, there's not much separation skillwise between an excellent player and a great one. This means that the game is more team-oriented, but I prefer my games with a little more space for individual skill to shine is all that I'm saying. I'm a competitive guy and I enjoy close, competitive games. If you like just messing around with a bunch of friends, I'm not knocking you for it. Do what you like. But if you're going to argue that Gears gives room for individual skill to shine, I'm going to disagree. And don't forget the time I carried my buddy rosco to win Mansion 2v4 against TNL, or all the times I shut down Canals with my sniper.
    Last edited by mannerbot; 10 May 2008 at 08:46 PM.

10. I prefer to live longer than 5 seconds, so I play Gears. yes i suck at Halo