I never did get an answer on my previous thread about if a RGB-Component transcoder actually worked well or not, the main answer was "real men use RGB." I did some research and found a couple of guys on the sega-16 forums that had done it with some success, so I bought one and ordered a Genesis SCART cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATLONA-SCART-RGB...QQcmdZViewItem

That is the adapter I got, but I didn't pay $100 for it. There are several on ebay the look the same, and they are all the same converter. The only difference is the "Atlona" brand converters include a US power supply, the generic ones have a Euro supply, but you can use a generic 7.5 v ac adapter if you have one laying around.

Also, it only converts a video signal, so it doesn't pass audio, but it's very easy to modify it to have a regular RCA audio output as well.

I hooked it up to the X'Eye. All I can say is HOLY SHIT! I never thought the Genesis could look this good. It's so...colorful.

Everything is nice and sharp, and I can see more distinct colors. The colors are not oversaturated like with composite, and you can see lots of new details. I tried out Castlevania Bloodlines first, since playing it in composite makes my eyes bleed, it just looks like total crap. In component you can see lots of extra details in the game, it really looks nice now. Streets of Rage 2, Shinobi 3, and Beggar Prince are some other games that I tried that make a pretty good difference. Oddly enough, in the Sonic games it didn't make as big a difference.

I hooked up the 32x next, and noticed that there was a little bit of waviness to the picture in the 32x video layer. It's barely noticeable though, and it still looks quite a bit better than before. Virtua Racing looked nice, while Space Harrier was incredible.

I then popped Sonic 1 into the X'Eye, and loaded Sonic 1 on the Wii's Virtual Console to compare them side by side. Sad to say, but the Virtual Console looked just a tad better. It was slightly more colorful than the X'Eye, although it wasn't a huge difference. The inside of the transcoder has adjustments for the color, so you could probably boost it a bit to match the Wii's video, but I'm not going to mess with it myself.

I also tried to use it with the Genesis 1 using a 32x converter cable, and it looked great as well. I didn't notice any significant difference in the video between the two systems, although I would like to do some more thorough tests in the future.

In conclusion-it's still not quite as good as RGB, but it's very, very close. If you have played Genesis games through VC in component you pretty much know what to expect already. I've got some more scart cables for the other systems on the way now.