Thread: My computer won't fully load webpages on the first attempt.

1. My computer won't fully load webpages on the first attempt.

...but, the more questions I ask, the more I learn!

Running: XP SP2, Linksys WRT54GS, Kerio Personal Firewall, Avast! Free Edition, PeerGuardian2

EVERY web browser on my computer refuses to load web pages on the first try. Online games work fine. Other computers, wired and wireless, work fine. I have to hit "go" several times before it fully loads. I've scanned this thing with every spyware scan known to man, avast! multiple times, and wiped every temp and unnecessary file off of it with ATF cleaner. I also created a new System Restore point and erased the old ones.

I also just recovered my Steam account. Some Canadian son of a bitch stole my account with Trojans (which I found and erased. Replaced HL.exe in Ricochet and Blue Shift. what an asshole). So, there were viruses present and, if they're still around, Avast can't find them. I'm not the only one using the computer here, but most of the rest of my family is a regular user and not administrator.

Can anyone pull my ass from the fryer here? I'd like to feel safe using my computer again.

2. Does google work fine? Give us a run down of exactly what pages aren't loading correctly.
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    EVERY web browser on my computer refuses to load web pages on the first try.
    I'm guessing it's a DNS issue. Try http://www.opendns.com's DNS servers and see if they work.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

4. I'll definitely try that, Mr. Tallarico. Thanks.

I'm starting to think it has something to do with the fucking Trojans that appeared on here again. I hate my family.

5. lol

if you're not all that attached to windows, install ubuntu or something... the computer will be just as easy to use as its always been, except you won't get trojans and won't be able to play some games (pretty sure halflife and friends have linux executables so you won't totally be screwed there, but if not there's always wine which in theory should play directx games just fine)

6. My family wouldn't stand for it, though.

Dammit all, I can't wait 'til I leave this place and get my own damn computer. I'll let them wallow in viruses forever.

Apparently a lot of the ISOs I have on here have become "decompression bombs" somehow. This is news. How the shit did this happen? They weren't before.
    Avast! says this: "Unable to Scan: File is a Decompression Bomb."

7. lol

8. What the hell is a decompression bomb?

edit: NEVERMIND.
    Last edited by epmode; 28 Feb 2008 at 09:59 AM.

9. Try changing your IP information. Instead of DHCP set everything statically.