Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84

Thread: The Official Manga thread

  1. It totally was.
    No it wasn't, was it the part where I said that quality wasn't a factor? You're right I'm saying there is american manga there! Or the part where I said the words just denotes the country of origin? Yep saying it there too, damn!
    "Antarctic Press" would like to chat, that's all they fucking make.
    All they make are comic books that draw from the japanese, no matter what they try to say.

    If you are still confused by this, Manga is written for the Japanese. Just like comic books are written for Americans. When the creator of Blame! did "snickt" that was a comic book. And if an american author did a work for the japanese that would be manga.

    But just taking the most common conventions of art and style from shonen jump (because it sure as hell isn't all manga) does not make it manga. It is still a comic book because it was made for the U.S.

    And as great as arguing the semantics of what is and isn't manga, that is NOT what this thread is for.

  2. #12
    Semantics indeed! I'm sorry your otaku whatever is offended, but them's the facts, jack.

    Anyway, continue. We can talk about "Manga Spawn".
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

  3. but them's the facts, jack
    And the fact is you're wrong, there is no such thing as American manga.

  4. #14




    Huh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mangakacoverfinal.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	32219  
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: i also have a picture of a christopher hart "how to" book if that would help
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

  5. Look, it doesn't matter how many people are being sold on the dream of "you too can make manga." It doesn't exsist, pure and simple. If were going to use the word Manga to blanket all of comics why HAVE the different words at all? Why have terms like Manhua, Manga, Manwha, or comics? Why not call them all funnybooks? Fuck that as good a term as any isn't it? The reason why dont do this is because it's important to know who made what and for who.

    Ninja highschool was made by an American company for Americans. That makes is a comic book, no matter how much it's creators lament that fact.

    Fist of the north star was made by a Japanese company for Japanese people, it is Manga.

    Snickt was made by a Japanese man for Americans, since it was for Americans it is a comic book.

    I can't make this any more clear than that, I really can't. And it doesn't matter what warren or DJ milky (AKA stu levey) want you to believe. If it's for Americans it's a comic, for japanese Manga, for Korean Manwha. End of story.

  6. #16
    Maybe it's stupid to get so hung up on a word? Just a little? I mean, hey, you can even make your own manga if you'd like.


    See also: Tacos.

    (I call 'em all funnybooks anyway, IRL. Too much nerd rage in the world.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80695.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	32220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lookie-i-can-maeks-a-taco.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	32221  
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2008 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

  7. Why have terms like Manhua, Manga, Manwha, or comics? Why not call them all funnybooks?
    There's nothing stopping you. The "comic" in "comic book" was originally put there because they were funny, and now the term covers everything. If you're going to be anal about definitions, then start there and complain about how Batman shouldn't be called a comic because it doesn't make you laugh.

  8. #18
    Excuse me, sir? Graphic. Novels. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

  9. God, that is the worst art for a "How to Draw Manga" book I have ever seen and I have seen some with pretty crappy art. Why is it, that the people who write/draw these books are never at a professional level of artistry?

    While I use comics to refer to American stuff and manga for Japanese stuff, it's not a sticking point for me. The American manga stuff I can deal with. While I agree it isn't really manga, it is styled after it, so I think you can get away with calling it "American" Or "World" manga. My major issue with such manga is most of the time the art is so bad, some how the anime/manga style doesn't work when an American is doing the drawing. When the artist goes a away from straight up copying the Japanese style and does more of an inspired by look, I find that works much much better.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    God, that is the worst art for a "How to Draw Manga" book I have ever seen and I have seen some with pretty crappy art. Why is it, that the people who write/draw these books are never at a professional level of artistry?
    $$$, plus book publishers generally don't know the difference.

    They're still trying to clear out warehouses full of marker/color pencil sets from "How To Draw Dinosaurs", published in 1988.
    While I use comics to refer to American stuff and manga for Japanese stuff, it's not a sticking point for me. The American manga stuff I can deal with. While I agree it isn't really manga, it is styled after it, so I think you can get away with calling it "American" Or "World" manga. My major issue with such manga is most of the time the art is so bad, some how the anime/manga style doesn't work when an American is doing the drawing. When the artist goes a away from straight up copying the Japanese style and does more of an inspired by look, I find that works much much better.
    This is a lot closer to the "enlightened view".

    ===========

    Back on what I assume was the intended topic, I went through a pretty good Masamune Shriow phase for a bit there. Tank Police, Appleseed, Orion, Dominion Conflict One: No More Noise, the Intron Deopt shit, the whole bit. Not Ghost in the Shell, oddly enough. (all published by, holy shit, Dark Horse Comics, translated for the American Market)

    I like the way he draws machines and weaponry. His anatomy, though, no fucking clue what he's on about with that.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2008 at 02:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo