Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Manga thread

1. Eh, the end of Death Note isn't the worst, but the whole last half was an enormous letdown to me considering how great the first half was. The very end wasn't as clever as I had hoped it would be. I did like the manner in which Light went, though, and the moments where he came totally unhinged. I just wish there was some kind of real epilogue, you know? There were other characters involved! There was a world to restore order to! To me, it says that everyone other than Light and L was a throwaway and we shouldn't have cared. I know that I found it impossible to care about Near. But it does bug me how much was left up in the air. But I'm led to believe that wanting to know every ending detail is something Japanese audiences desire less, though I have no idea how true that may or may not be.

2. I was just pissed how Mello went out, as I liked him a lot more than Near. Who just seemed to me like a watered down L, Mellos "by any means" approach just seemed a lot cooler. Other than that I was happy with the ending, the back and forth between Light and Near at the end is brilliant though.

3. Oh yeah, no doubt. Mello was totally wasted as a character. I would have liked if he had been successful over Near, because yeah, Near is just a second-rate L. Has the series been finished in the US yet? I'd like to read the SJ translation of the end, as they did a great job with the earlier parts of the series and I'm sure it beats the hell out of the scans that I read.

I need to get back on Shonan Junai Gumi. I forget where I left over, but I was going insane over those huge volumes they were putting out for a while. Every time I'd get one I'd want to drop everything til I'm done with it. I loved GTO to death and when it ended I still had no idea that SJG existed. A few more years of Onizuka fun is just fine with me, but... what am I gonna do when that ends, too?

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Personal taste.
    Gosh, really?
    I tend to feel like a lot of manga falls into a pretty routine "template" artistically (big eyes speed lines zip-a-tone belt buckles blah blah blah), though there are a lot of series' that break the mold and do something outside the norm, and these are always worth a look.
    If you haven't I'd say take a look at Priest. Not that it's a good read (I actually don't recall) but the art style is heavily Western and it's interesting to see in such a format.

And I've already mentioned my piece before on Death Note. Such a hilariously terrible ending after such an amazing first half.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Gosh, really?
    A lot of folks need that underlined apparently, I'm glad to see you're not one of them.
    If you haven't I'd say take a look at Priest. Not that it's a good read (I actually don't recall) but the art style is heavily Western and it's interesting to see in such a format.
    I'll give it a page through next time I get a coffee at B&N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. It is by a Korean. I suggest that all comments related to it be moved to a new Manhwa thread.

7. Good point. If one has an interest in forieghn sequential art it wouldn't kill them to know the correct names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Shaman Warrior(not shaman king) is badass.
    D Gray Man, Junk, Battle Angel Alita Last Order are also realy good.
    Im currently hooked on One Piece and Utopias Avenger. I like the Korean comics. shaman warrior, Utopias avenger, and Priest being my faves. I still need to finish Saint Legend, and Story of the Tao.

9. Parasyte is being re-released by DelRay. Everyone should go and buy it, because it's unedited and much, much better this time around. Plus it looks like a 6-7 book series in nice, thick volumes.

I'm enjoying Yakitate Japan for sheer dopeyness. Bread-baking battles are far more entertaining than they've any right to be.

I've been looking at one called Old Boy on the shelves, but it strikes me as another comic that wants its art printed at full comic size, like Blade of the Immortal. And speaking of Blade, if Dark Horse wants that kind of price for their stuff they can damn well print at full comic size. Viz managed it for the excellent Nausicaa re-releases, and at $10 a pop too, so there's no reason Dark Horse can't give it a shot at $15+.

Planetes has been out forever, but anyone not owning it really should.

James

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    Some artists really don't have a strong knack for motion. Otomo had a huge problem with it, Akira is a wondeful read but god damn was I confused by some of the action sequences.
    He did Domu before Akira (which was pretty much nothing but a fight between two psychics) and I had no issues following it. Beautiful art and some fantastic "frozen moment" scenes.
    Seeing a fight in motion just works better than on a pritned page for the most part.
    I agree when the series in question actually has the budget to do so, but that's so rare it's practically a non-issue. The fight scenes in the Naruto anime were absolute shit compared to the manga, DBZ anime is legendary in its dragged-out scenes with constant bad animation loops and yet it looks great in the manga, the fight scenes in the Berserk anime pale in comparision to the manga, etc. One way to do it is the Evangelion approach of not animating anything else in the entire episode and then pouring the entire budget into the fight, but that's a pretty stylistic approach that I think worked for that series but wouldn't carry over well to most others.

I also have an issue with most anime from manga because a lot of series tend to standardize the art and remove any sense of individual style that the original artist gave it. The other night I saw a brief clip of the Death Note anime on Cartoon Network or whatever and if it hadn't been for L being on-screen I would've had no clue what it was, it looked just like 50 other random series. It's mostly due to time and money constraints, but I'd really have to place YellerDog's label of assembly-line bullshit on most SJ-based anime. They really just churn it out regardless of quality, and then when they don't have material they make up horrifically worthless filler crap just so there's no lapse in advertising and public knowledge.