Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 356789 LastLast

Thread: The Official Manga thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    you say fetishism, I call it a holiday
    Ya had me, then ya lost me. This is why you have so many friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Maybe you're mean, Yeller. Have you ever thought about that?

3. BAKUMAN!

it started up a few years ago but i've just started reading it. it's about two kids (a writer and artist) who want to make manga. it's REALLY interesting to see their process and what goes on behind the scenes at a big company like jump. not sure how accurate it all is but it's not like i have a million other examples floating around. the first volume's out in stores but i've been keeping up with it through scanlations. the story starts off with the kids in middle school coming up with ideas and sending in to weekly magazines. what's nice is that you don't have to read through 4 months of them drawing. they basically skip ahead by saying stuff like "so we worked on 6 chapters over our summer break." they even get an editor who gives them a lot of helpful information. great comic!

4. I'm very interested in reading that. I heard it was very misogynistic.

5. i think that about most japanese comics. it's probably something that just shows up more in shonen stuff, though? but what's refreshing is that a few female artists show up later in the series. at first the main characters have love interests. i was a little annoyed by this but it keeps things balanced. on one hand you have the characters worrying about deadlines and tips from their editors, then on the other they're thinking about their relationships and trying to balance it with working all the time.

6. Bakuman's pretty cool yeah.

I had been wondering what Yusuke Murata had been up to since Eyeshield 21 ended a while ago. Did some research and he just started a new series, Donten Prism Solar Car. It's about college kids building, you guessed it, a solar car for one of those crazy eco-challenge races.

Well, actually it's more about this not-college kid who wants to go to college but is working in his uncle's steelworking shop to save up for it someday, because he lost his parents in a car accident as a kid and doesn't have money and hates cars for tearing his life apart but OH GOLLY his uncle is lending out his shop to students making a car and orders him to help them out, hijinks ensue etc. etc.

(it's not really as wacky as I'm making it out to be)

Pretty good so far! It's only 3 installments in, but it's monthly instead of weekly so the page counts are pretty high for each chapter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DontenPrismSolarCarch001-pg01-02.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	59093  
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 01 Dec 2010 at 11:33 PM.

7. Reporting in to say that Bakuman is really really good. I've blitzed through about 100 chapters over the holidays.I love how it's a shonen manga about making shonen manga. I don't think any TNL artist could read this and not dream about making their own comic. I have a feeling the work ethic you need isn't far from reality, though. I read somewhere that One Piece's author goes home to his family once a month.

I forgot about the solar car manga, I'll try to find some of that later this week.
    Last edited by Dunlap; 27 Dec 2010 at 09:48 PM.

8. Narutooooooooo

9. I think I'll stop reading that series again, this madura stuff has been horrible and I've ben reading it out of habit for a long time. I have trouble finishing it now, though.

10. Wat? Now they're at full war. Kabuto has revived most of Akatsuki, the Seven Swordsmen of the Hidden Mist, and a slew of others. Kishi will probably drag the series out another two years but the end is near.