Thread: Your Favorite Comics Journeymen

1. Your Favorite Comics Journeymen

Mentioning Doom 2099 in chat reminded me of Pat Broderick. I really liked his art! It wasn’t flashy or anything, but from Firestorm to Captain Atom to Doom 2099 I appreciated his art. It was always solid.

Who are some of your favorite creators that may not be on the level of comic’s greatest, but you could always count on solid work being delivered from them?

2. Gary Frank and Chris Sprouse come to mind. Frank's work has a bit of ugly to it, but it's solid and he's a workhorse. Sprouse is a more stylistically pleasing, if lacking in particularly dynamic layouts.

I'm tempted to say names like Mike Allred, Doc Shaner, Steve Rude, and Chris Samnee, folks whose styles draw heavily on the 'house styles' of silver age comics, but nah man, that's a feature, not a bug. Those guys are top of the field in my book.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 01 May 2018 at 01:36 AM.

3. Frank’s a great choice! He had some pretty big shoes to fill when he replaced Keown on Hulk, which I felt he did admirably. His style is very clean. I followed him and David onto Supergirl, a book I’d otherwise have no interest in.

My only exposure to Sprouse was his work on Supreme and Ocean. I’d say he fits the bill perfectly as well. Nothing, artwise, knocked my socks off on those books- well, as far as it was when he was drawing, but I didnt think the art bad, just very competent.

4. Bill Sienkiewicz. I read *countless* letter columns of him being hated on growing up, your average superhero fan didn't know how to process him.

31786640_629017640769632_7797375472186163200_n.jpg

31793582_629017624102967_2715434111584960512_n.jpg

31841482_629017634102966_4010131434365779968_n.jpg

31889186_629017644102965_150467831253696512_n.jpg

Also: Bret Blevins, Ben Templesmith, Don Simpson.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 03 May 2018 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Sin kev itch is a god damn God. How dare you lump him in with these other clowns.
    Let's see. I know Bret Blevins from Shadow of the Bat and New Mutants. I guess he's alright, he never stood out to me.
    The only Templesmith thing I checked out was Fell, and of course I dug that.
    Don Simpson...I know the name, I'll have to look him up but I feel like I was Vertigo?
    Ah fuck, the Megaton guy. Will Simpson was the Vertigo guy. I'm aware of Megaton Man, but I never checked it out. Probably should have, a lot of people seemed to dig it.

6. This was my first Moon Knight. I grabbed it out of a quarter bin when I was like 12 because the cover was so goddamn striking. Been a huge Sienkiewicz fan ever since. Some of my favorite stuff in the late 90s early 2000s was when they had him ink some old timer penciller I didn't like, such as Aparo.
    moon-knight-1980-series-018.jpg

7. I just wanted an excuse to post those Dazzler covers haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

they are nice

9. I can't believe Dazzler had a series that went 40+ issues.

While Wolvie was around without an ongoing, even.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJN
    My only exposure to Sprouse was his work on Supreme and Ocean. I’d say he fits the bill perfectly as well. Nothing, artwise, knocked my socks off on those books- well, as far as it was when he was drawing, but I didnt think the art bad, just very competent.
    Tom Strong's probably his best stuff, get on that.

(Also, apparently Tom Strong is being folded into the DCU proper? Whaaaa?)
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 05 May 2018 at 10:59 PM.