Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Manga thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    His anatomy, though, no fucking clue what he's on about with that.
    His anatomy doesn't bug me as much as his complete inability to draw a coherent fight scene. I remember reading Appleseed and having no clue what was going on during some of the mech fights until they established who won afterwards, and some of the pages of GITS2 appeared to be random figure drawings that just so happened to be sketches of the characters currently in the story. I love his writing and his designs but he really needs to hire someone else to do his storyboards.

That said, the only manga I currently keep up with is Alita (though he appears to have cut down to one release a year instead of two, which annoys me). Have yet to see anything else that isn't terrible, has a cover that would make me embarrassed to take their product to the counter, or both. I was reading Berserk, but when I caught up a few months ago and realized how much further he intended to take it I've pretty much decided on fuck it until he's done. There's probably a couple other good manga out there right now but damned if I'm going to sift through all of them. Never did read all of Akira, maybe I'll take a shot at collecting that.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    His anatomy doesn't bug me as much as his complete inability to draw a coherent fight scene. I remember reading Appleseed and having no clue what was going on during some of the mech fights until they established who won afterwards, and some of the pages of GITS2 appeared to be random figure drawings that just so happened to be sketches of the characters currently in the story. I love his writing and his designs but he really needs to hire someone else to do his storyboards.
    This is a main problem with Japanese comics. The designs tend to be very stylized, but the draftsmanship = not so great. Panel-to-panel storytelling is generally janked, but people think it's "cinematic" or something regardless of it makes sense or not.

(Before the vag hits the beach, nobody pretends the vast majority of American comics are 100% awesome, we're not talking about that. Rob Liefield appreciates your patience on the matter.)

"Blade of the Immortal" is generally not janked, on the other hand, and tends to be a very good read. I'd like to get back in to that one.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2008 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Thumbs Up

I tried reading GITS 2 but I couldn't stand all the crappy CG in it.

As for titles I like:
    Bastard!! - Is pretty good if you like some crack ass fantasy with lots of heavy metal references.

Berserk - Is awesome, though yes it seems it will be running until the end of time.

Emma - Is about a Victorian maid, it's a romance, it's got very nice art, and a good story.

Genjuu no Seiza - This is a title from the Pet Shop of Horror's creator. If you liked the lighter side of Pet Shop then you should like this. It's about a boy who finds out he is a reincarnated god. But he really doesn't get any super powers, other then he can see spirits. He also gets a whole pantheon of pets to deal with. Not the most awesome title ever, but very entertaining.

Hellsing - Do I need to say anything about this? It's awesome.

Nodame Cantabile - A goofy slice of life story about a music prodigy who can't get moving with his career because he can't get on a plane and a messy girl who can play almost anything by ear but has no real drive. This is kind of on the wacky side sometimes but a really great manga.

Vagabond - Super awesome art? Check! Bad-ass Samurai? Check! Blood and guts? Check!

Yotsuba&! - This is a very cute and sweet slice of life comic. It gives me the warm fuzzies.

I could probably name a few more, but I wanted to list stuff published in the U.S.

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    This is a main problem with Japanese comics. The designs tend to be very stylized, but the draftsmanship = not so great. Panel-to-panel storytelling is generally janked, but people think it's "cinematic" or something regardless of it makes sense or not.
    I've only seen this with a few comics. The Evangelion one in particular was almost indecipherable whenever there was an action scene. Some of the Shonen Jump series I usually don't read are like that too, but if they are the pages also look like they're drawn pretty quickly and I kind of like those because I like to pretend the artist is working on them without assistants.

I remember Blade being like that too, actually. It was one of the reasons I never started collecting the issues.

Haven't bought any comics in a long time. I went to get some a few months ago and ending up rebuying an Alita volume I already had because I forgot what volume I was up to =\

5. I think Blade may have been a case of the style overriding the draftsmanship. It's a really slick looking book. Thinking back though, there are a lot of issues where random objects are WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH for pages and nothing really seems to count until someone is dead at the end of the sequence. There's not a lot of concrete action-to-action sequences.

6. There's nothing stopping you. The "comic" in "comic book" was originally put there because they were funny, and now the term covers everything. If you're going to be anal about definitions, then start there and complain about how Batman shouldn't be called a comic because it doesn't make you laugh.
    Comic book has been the term for over 60 years now, so regardless of the orginal intent it's become synonymous with American sequential art. If everyone wanted to call them graphic novels, whatever that still tells me It's for Americans. That's why I use the term, and if I call everything funnybooks that doesn't tell me a thing about it. But if It's called Manwha I know from the get go that it is a Korean work.
    This is a lot closer to the "enlightened view".
    What ever you say.

Anyway, I am finally trying to finish the copy of Phoenix V.2 I started reading months ago. It's a pretty heavy story I have to say, good story, just sad.

Panel-to-panel storytelling is generally janked, but people think it's "cinematic" or something regardless of it makes sense or not.
    I think it really depends on the work, Berserk or Alita move very fluently from panel to panel in my opinion. Unless that isn't what you were talking about.
    Before the vag hits the beach, nobody pretends the vast majority of American comics are 100% awesome
    If you're reffering to me I don't have anything against American comics, at all, I enjoy sequential art from any area of the world.
    Last edited by Rem; 25 Feb 2008 at 03:51 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    I think it really depends on the work, Berserk or Alita move very fluently from panel to panel in my opinion. Unless that isn't what you were talking about.
    Overall I would say a smooth style and poses that feel naturally drawn seem to be fairly common in manga, there's a number of series that are written like dogshit that I continued to read just because I liked the art (i.e. Tengou Tenge, until I got sick of how it refused to rise above being just fan service). For whatever reason this is incredibly rare for American comics, even when I like the art it often doesn't grab my eyes in the same way.

Berserk took a long time to come into itself, I feel it looks pretty stilted and amateurish (though a great deal of effort was obviously put into anyway) until around volume 7, if I remember right. At some point his art style stops looking like he's still figuring out how to draw poses and becomes straight up badass, but it took a while to get there. Early Alita also looks vastly different from Last Order and while I think he's come a long way in his art the older stuff still holds up really well to me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    But if It's called Manwha I know from the get go that it is a Korean work.
    Or you could just say "comics from Korea" the first time, which is what you'll be saying anyway when whoever you're talking to says "Man-what?"

Well yeah, it depends on the particular title. It would. It is a common issue, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Overall I would say a smooth style and poses that feel naturally drawn seem to be fairly common in manga, there's a number of series that are written like dogshit that I continued to read just because I liked the art (i.e. Tengou Tenge, until I got sick of how it refused to rise above being just fan service). For whatever reason this is incredibly rare for American comics, even when I like the art it often doesn't grab my eyes in the same way.
    Personal taste. I tend to feel like a lot of manga falls into a pretty routine "template" artistically (big eyes speed lines zip-a-tone belt buckles blah blah blah), though there are a lot of series' that break the mold and do something outside the norm, and these are always worth a look.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2008 at 04:34 PM.

9. [QUOTE=YellerDog;1064058729]Or you could just say "comics from Korea" the first timeQUOTE]

I could say comics from Korea, but I say Manwha, which is what Koreans call it, and is the correct terminology. If somebody doesn't know what it means perhaps they should look it up? I know I did the first time I saw it.

Berserk took a long time to come into itself, I feel it looks pretty stilted and amateurish (though a great deal of effort was obviously put into anyway) until around volume 7, if I remember right. At some point his art style stops looking like he's still figuring out how to draw poses and becomes straight up badass, but it took a while to get there.
    Berserk is one of the finest looking books around bar none. And I think this is one the biggest advantages to having a single artist/writer on a series. you really get to see improvement as the series progresses. Obata with Hikuro no Go is a great example of this. His art went from good, to some of the best out there.

Well yeah, it depends on the particular title. It would. It is a common issue, though.
    Some artists really don't have a strong knack for motion. Otomo had a huge problem with it, Akira is a wondeful read but god damn was I confused by some of the action sequences.
    Last edited by Rem; 25 Feb 2008 at 04:35 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    I could say comics from Korea, but I say Manwha, which is what Koreans call it, and is the correct terminology. If somebody doesn't know what it means perhaps they should look it up? I know I did the first time I saw it.
    And you're free to look like a big ol' dork too, nobody's stopping you.

99% of human beings will not need or desire that information at any point.

Busting out obscure forigen words in the middle of a conversation that could just as quickly be conveyed in English? The American term for this is "asshole".
    Some artists really don't have a strong knack for motion. Otomo had a huge problem with it, Akira is a wondeful read but god damn was I confused by some of the action sequences.
    This is what I'm getting at, exactly.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2008 at 04:58 PM.