Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mushi-Shi

1. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...mushi-shi-film

Funimation has announced on Friday that it has acquired Katsuhiro Otomo's live-action film version of Yuki Urushibara's Mushi-shi supernatural drama manga. The titular "Mushi-shi" ("Bug Master") character is a doctor who travels a mystical version of Japan to cure people affected by Mushi, the supernatural creatures that he is investigating. This film is the latest from the director of Akira and Memories. The manga also inspired the 2005 animated Mushi-shi television series by Hiroshi Nagahama (Fruits Basket assistant director, Detroit Metal City video) and Artland (Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Macross).

Funimation is planning theatrical showings via Funimation Films and a DVD release in 2009. Coincidentally, The Barbican performing arts center in London will be holding a October 28 double-billing of both the anime version and the live-action version.

2. Mushi-shi is the best anime show I have ever seen. Hell, it's one of the best pieces of visual entertainment I've ever seen.

I don't think it's for everyone, as it's slow-paced, serene, and thoughtful. The structure is somewhat formulaic (in most episodes, Ginko meets people in an odd situation and then fixes it), but the creativity of the mushi forms and the characters involved means it never gets old. Ginko is a familiar mystery, if that makes any sense.

I watched it slowly, perhaps only an episode or two at a time, because each one gave me something to think about. There's a lot going on metaphorically as well. The tech aspects are enchanting: despite the muted colors and simplistic animation, it's is a gorgeously drawn and presented work, and the minimal but memorable soundtrack fits the tone perfectly.

The thing I love most is how the show makes me feel: peaceful, reflective, and aware. It's a work of quiet genius.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

3. this'll be the first anime series i'll watch since...abenobashi?

it's been a while, and hope it lives up to the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

4. Is the dub any good? Cause that's all there is on youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

5. i don't think i have ever been let down by any of Opaque's recommendations and Mushi-shi is no exception. I'm just sad that I'm almost near the end of season 2, only 5 more eps to go.

really is a beautiful, touching series.

Quote Originally Posted by Anal Kaboom View Post
    Is the dub any good? Cause that's all there is on youtube.
    i've been watching almost every ep dubbed, its not that bad.
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

6. I bought the box-set to this. I originally watched Mushi-Shi when it was airing in Japan. Awesome, awesome show. My second favorite series, actually. (Monster being the first.)

I pretty much hate anime, too!
    Currently playing: Binary Domain (PC), EVE Online: Retribution (PC), Guild Wars 2 (PC)

7. finished all 26 episodes. tried to prolong the last 5 as much as possible

damn, great show. these eps are too short, should've been atleast 40 minutes. And even when each ep is only 20 minutes long you still feel deeply for the characters.

some of my favorite episodes were:

#19 Top of the String
    #20 A Sea of Brushes
    #22 The Offshore Shrine

they need to make more episodes, its a crime that they just end it like that.
    Last edited by Klonoa; 01 Feb 2009 at 05:37 PM.