Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing up DVDs... best way?

1. Backing up DVDs... best way?

I'm using Mac The Ripper to back up my DVD's. Mainly cause I will be flying to Japan this summer, and I just wanted to throw a ton of DVDs on a portable hdd rather than bring the DVDs in a case. However, I am also interested i backing up my entire collection for digital use. I am just using the extract whole disc mode so that way I get subtitles. My question is, does this prepare me for later? Say digital content comes or I want to move certain movies to my PS3 or something, is this the best way to do it, or am I stuck watching them on my Mac DVD player?

2. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
    I'm using Mac The Ripper to back up my DVD's. Mainly cause I will be flying to Japan this summer, and I just wanted to throw a ton of DVDs on a portable hdd rather than bring the DVDs in a case. However, I am also interested i backing up my entire collection for digital use. I am just using the extract whole disc mode so that way I get subtitles. My question is, does this prepare me for later? Say digital content comes or I want to move certain movies to my PS3 or something, is this the best way to do it, or am I stuck watching them on my Mac DVD player?
    How long are you going to be in Japan? Or is this just for the flight over? Cause honestly, how many DVD's do you actually need? It's easier to carry a small DVD case than a portable hard drive.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. It's mainly for the flight and just to have while there. I just want to put what I can fit on the hdd (planning on getting the WD 320gb passport).

4. Download DVD shrink ver.3.2 if your gonna do any backs ups of your physical library. It does a copy of the complete disc... EVERYTHING.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

5. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
    Download DVD shrink ver.3.2 if your gonna do any backs ups of your physical library. It does a copy of the complete disc... EVERYTHING.
    Thats what Mac The Ripper Does. I'm gonna test out handbrake on one of the file I have.

6. So DVDShrink backs up all of a DVD, hrm? Interesting...

7. I use DVDShrink and just rip the movie (fuck all the menu/extra BS). It is great.

8. I don't mind the extra space too much as its nice to have some of the subtitles ad shit, at least for some movies I need it. Handbreak works just fine, even with a complete VIDEO_TS folder. My next move is to get a 320gb WD Passport and throw as much as I ca that I absolutely want onto that.

9. Okay, so I'm backing up my massive DVD collection but I want to be able to play these backups on Windows Media Player when necessary. I don't always want to look for a DVD when I want to watch it. How do I make that happen?

10. If you use something like DVD decrypter to get the main VOB, you can just change the VOB extension to .mpg and it should play fine. The file size will still be large, so if you want it smaller you will have to convert it into mp4 or H.264 for smaller file size.