Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who hated Skies of Arcadia?

1. Originally posted by Chojin
    then again, I only hear such things at TNL...
    well duh! were the only peeps who bought a dreamcast for something other than NFL2K

2. Originally posted by Dragonmaster Dyne

well duh! were the only peeps who bought a dreamcast for something other than NFL2K

3. Ummm guys how bout if we quit treating Zidane like a rabid animal about to be put to sleep. Rock on with your opinion sir. *-neo

4. I really wanted to like it, and I devoted probably 5-7 hrs to it, but it just did nothing for me. I was so bored with it. I know thats not a popular opinion, but it really did nothing for me. Now that FF7 thing going on here, thats just crazy. "No RPG can outmatch FF7. It makes nearly everything else look basic and plain.". Surely your joking. Thats just so silly, I could never believe that someone actually thought that about such a lame rpg. No sir, I don't like it.

5. Surely your joking. Thats just so silly
    Dare I ask why? I could write a 5 page essay on why FF7 is so great and no one can tell why any RPG is better. They aren't. They rely too heavily on everything that's been done before. FF7 did not. FF7 broke ground, FF7 tried to be something greater. Apparently that's frowned upon here. This is one of the few times I'll ever say this, but if you don't like FF7, you have shitty taste. Seriously. I can understand differences of opinion on many games, but some things are truly inexplicable, and FF7 hate is one of those things.

Nothing can measure up to truly hackneyed, plain and boring "chibi" sprite RPGs of the SNES era, though, I'll admit.

6. Well, I for one don't hate FF7, but I do think it is highly overrated. The cut scenes looked nice but took up too much of the game IMO. Nice story, yes. Good (but static) graphics, yes. Good music, yes. It's just not the electronic orgasm that everyone makes it out to be.

It did break ground in some aspects, but also merely dressed up with CG and great graphics a lot of things that had been done before in other RPGs (ex: a character's death).

It's also funny how people diss on Skies' random battles but conveniently forget that FF7 had them too...

7. Originally posted by Chojin
    The only time I had any fun in this game was during the boss battles. Characters were the typical anime stereotypes, the story turned into the ole find the crystal quest(I'm gonna assume it severely changes but the story was never intersting enough for me to want to finish the game), random battles were pretty sick etc..
    Wait a minute. Which game are you refering to here?

I think you summed them both up pretty well, although Skies has happier characters and actually tries to be inventive and do new things. Oh wait, FFVII had the most hysterically abusable battle system ever with their complete amount of inventiveness consisting of Materia, right?

I never finished Skies, though what I did play I throughly enjoyed and found nicely done and a breath of fresh air in terms of design and execution in console RPGs. I found FFVII enjoyable too, though once I encountered about four characters I figured out the entire rest of the story within minutes, and once I figured out how to work Materia the game became the easiest RPG I've ever encountered. I mean, the difficulty is truly pathetic, and their "extra-powerful" extra bosses wish they were half as tough as the Earth Dragon from SaGa Frontier.

I'm not saying FFVII is nessecarily bad because it's easy, before anyone gets that impression, it's just that I never really felt any urgency or strategy needed because it was so simple to beat everything. Except Ruby, I actually had to stock some items for that, not that doing that was too hard since the most common Materia in the game gives you over one million Gil if you sell it. Sell three and you're set for the entire game, no matter what you do.

Unless you found the W-Item glitch, in which case not even that is really needed.

8. I remember when I was playing FF7 and I remember the pain it brought me. I had to MAKE myself beat it. I hated it. It hurt my eyes, it hurt my ears, it was soooo tedious and boring. Go to next village, talk to everyone, go to next village, talk to everyone(enter many random battles with boring camera sweep-ins that you couldn't bypass), go to next village......repeat many times. That was truely a dark time for me. I did enjoy some of the cinemas and a couple tunes but it was not worth it for me. FF7 may have been part of the reason I didn't continue Skies of Arcadia. I made myself beat FF7 even though I hated it but I believe it was at that time that I decided not to continue playing a game if I didn't like it. Maybe I will go play a bit more of Skies though, maybe something will click, everyone seems to like it.

9. Originally posted by Melf
    Well, I for one don't hate FF7, but I do think it is highly overrated. The cut scenes looked nice but took up too much of the game IMO.
    Nonsense, unless a few minutes of story progression every hour or two should be excluded from a game? Perhaps it would be acceptable if they didn't have FMVs and progressed the story by 100% "page turning" conversations ("oh my god!!" -> "weapon has just emerged from the sea!!" -> "we must fight it!" not quite the same).

Nice story, yes.
    Good, someone likes it. I'm truly thrilled. Honestly.

Good (but static) graphics, yes.
    And what RPG didn't, especially in '97.

It's just not the electronic orgasm that everyone makes it out to be.
    Oh yes it was.

It's also funny how people diss on Skies' random battles but conveniently forget that FF7 had them too...
    People also want to forget all of the little things that make FF7 stand out and a deep RPG experience, so all is fair.

10. Originally posted by Rob
    Nonsense, unless a few minutes of story progression every hour or two should be excluded from a game? Perhaps it would be acceptable if they didn't have FMVs and progressed the story by 100% "page turning" conversations ("oh my god!!" -> "weapon has just emerged from the sea!!" -> "we must fight it!" not quite the same).
    I prefer in-game cut scenes, which preserve the fluidity of the gameplay a lot more than an abrupt pause, followed by CG characters mouthing some such thing, followed by another abrupt pause.