Page 7 of 188 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Cave + Xbox 360 OMG

1. Quote Originally Posted by Clash! View Post
    But arn't these vertical games? And doesn't Microsoft require all games to be HD? Arn't there some issues involved with all that? --*
    If you download the Triggerheart Exelica demo, you can see how the game would run on an HD monitor--wide borders on either side. However Triggerheard and Ikaruga on the 360 have TATE options, which is nice if you have a screen that can rotate. I'm sure Cave will apply those same options on these titles. As for the upscaling, it would be no different than Streets of Rage 2 XBLA. As long as there's an option to turn off the filter (they usually suck), it shouldn't be a problem playing these Cave games on an HDTV.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

2. For most, at least. I'd guess that there's a decent number of would-be PCB owners who would be more likely to play these ports if they could run in their original resolution, but that isn't possible on the 360.

I'll take it upscaled, of course. I just hope they stretch it decently and don't do some Metal Slug 3 level of stupid.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I'll take it upscaled, of course. I just hope they stretch it decently and don't do some Metal Slug 3 level of stupid.
    Is it just me, or is Metal Slug 3 the poster child for "Great Game, Stupid Developer"?

Between the Xbox and the XBLA ports, this game just keeps getting shat upon...

4. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Is it just me, or is Metal Slug 3 the poster child for "Great Game, Stupid Developer"?

Between the Xbox and the XBLA ports, this game just keeps getting shat upon...
    Metal Slug 3 XBLA broke my heart. I would have gladly spent $10 on it if SNK/Playmore didn't fuck up the port (worthless leaderboards, no option to turn off filter, no red blood).
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    For most, at least. I'd guess that there's a decent number of would-be PCB owners who would be more likely to play these ports if they could run in their original resolution, but that isn't possible on the 360.

I agree, the XBLA port of Metal Slug 3 is FUGLY (filtered & upscaled graphics looking yucky). Taking the red blood out adds insult to injury. SNKP needs to learn how to do bitmap prescaling and a fake RGB effect. I'll stick to the MVS cart or the PS2 version- the PS2 version may not be up to the MVS cart but it looks loads better than the 360 one.

Ketsui & DOJ have 448v X 224h for their original resolution, but I'd be willing to put up with blank borders to have the image scaled to an even multiple (e.g. for yoko mode in 720p, have 136 pixel borders around the top and bottom- and triple the 224 horizontal resolution to 672).

6. Just so everyone is clear on this, CAVE has nothing to do with the ports, nor what platform they are released on. 5PB bought the rights to port them, they chose the X360, and they're doing it 100% by themselves. On a recent blog entry, Ichiro Mihara (programmer at Arika, who made the wonderful Espgaluda and Dodonpachi Daioujou ports for the PS2), said he and Tsuneki Ikeda (head programmer at CAVE) didn't know anything about these ports until they saw the games in Famitsu this week, though IKD must have known CAVE sold the rights to port the games to 5PB. Like the rest of us, they don't know anything more than what's in the Famitsu preview.

There's also a high chance that these will be XBLA downloads, which is good because they'll be cheap, but bad because the quality will likely be lackluster, and let's remember a company only known for mediocre Japanese dating sims is doing this by themselves.

The rights for these games were likely much cheaper to buy from CAVE than their more recent games (and that's why we're getting these instead of Mushihimesama Futari or DeathSmiles), so I wouldn't expect ports of the newer stuff from 5PB any time soon.

7. Cave not being involved is a bad sign.

5pb has never even worked on the 360 I believe, and all the games they've ever released are shit.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by blueskied View Post
    bad news
    ARGH.

Fuck all of them! To hear that this was happening and that some nobody studio is handling it with no support... I don't understand why it's so hard to get quality ports of their games out there. I certainly won't shed any tears when all of this stuff is finally emulated.

9. COME ON 5PB

10. Damn it thanks for shitting on the parade TWE.