Thread: Coat hangers as good as Monster cables

1. Coat hangers as good as Monster cables

Sorry Opaque, I had to do it.

Audiophiles can't tell the difference between Monster Cable and coat hangers

Posted Mar 3rd 2008 8:03PM by Nilay Patel
    Filed under: Home Entertainment

We've always believed that the perceived quality boost that comes from using high-end cables is really just a trick of the mind (read: justifying the ridiculous cost of premium cables to yourself) -- if you've dropped enough cash, you can probably hear anything you want. Still, our belief is one thing -- cold hard proof is another, and it looks like a group of 12 self-professed "audiophiles" recently couldn't tell the difference between Monster 1000 speaker cables and plain old coat hangers. Yeah, coat hangers.

The group was A-Bing different cables, and unbeknownst to them, the engineer running the test swapped out a set of cables for coat hangers with soldered-on speaker connections. Not a single one was then able to tell the difference between the Monster Cable and the hangers, and all agreed that the hangers sounded excellent. No wonder Monster has to rig HD displays. Still, we bet people still fall for the hype -- oh hey, if you're looking for the ultimate in sound, we've got half a meter of oxygen-free, triple-wrapped double-insulated Sonically Shielded AmpliSized Egyptian Llama cable here that we'll part ways with for just a couple grand.
    Source: Engadget

2. That's awesome. Great find, KoF.

3. In before abortion joke.

4. Well of course it has to be in before you can have an abortion.

5. That's fucking awesome, and pretty much what myself and a few others were saying about monster cable in that fabled thread.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. I lol'd. This is great.