Thread: A hopefully simple question about PS2 and DVDs in 16:9 prog scan.

1. A hopefully simple question about PS2 and DVDs in 16:9 prog scan.

Here's the deal. The PS2 is hooked up by component cables to a Sony Bravia XBRsomethingOrAnother.

In the PS2 system menu I have the screen set to 16:9.

When I play God of War I am able to display in progressive scan.

However, when I play DVDs the whole thing is stuck in 4:3 interlace. I press "select" on the PS2 controller while the movie is playing to bring up the menu options. I enter "setup". I can see the option where I'm supposed to set it to 16:9 and prog scan, but both are grayed out.

What's the deal? The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a 3rd party component cable with an extra dongle for Xbox.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    Here's the deal. The PS2 is hooked up by component cables to a Sony Bravia XBRsomethingOrAnother.

In the PS2 system menu I have the screen set to 16:9.

When I play God of War I am able to display in progressive scan.

However, when I play DVDs the whole thing is stuck in 4:3 interlace. I press "select" on the PS2 controller while the movie is playing to bring up the menu options. I enter "setup". I can see the option where I'm supposed to set it to 16:9 and prog scan, but both are grayed out.

What's the deal? The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a 3rd party component cable with an extra dongle for Xbox.
    FAT model or new skinny model?

If i remember correctly all models can play games in progressive scan

7000+ models then begin to display movies in progressive.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

3. Skinny PS2. Don't know the model number but I assume it's new enough to do it because I can see the menu option...but it's grayed out.

4. there's a white sticker on the back that says what the model number is. same tag as the serial.

5. actually, the last of the fats (50001) were the first to support progressive for DVD. You shouldn't be having this problem with a skinny.