Thread: Custom Flash Player

1. Custom Flash Player

I'm not savvy when it comes to Flash so this is where you come in.

I have a skin/design of how the player is suppose to look in Photoshop. Now, I want to turn this into a fully functional player. It will be pulling the playlist from a URL that is storing all the files/playlist. I also want it to rotate ads while playing the player.

Anyone know where I can find such a tutorial on placing my own design, having ads rotate and having it fully functional?

Here is how it looks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio3.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	32945  

2. This will provide you with a good start about building the actual player portion.

Where this gets slightly more complicated is how you are actually getting the outside media (audio, playlists, ads) into Flash and displaying them. If you can provide me with some more details I could help you out a lot more and point you in exactly the direction you will want to take this with.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    This will provide you with a good start about building the actual player portion.

Where this gets slightly more complicated is how you are actually getting the outside media (audio, playlists, ads) into Flash and displaying them. If you can provide me with some more details I could help you out a lot more and point you in exactly the direction you will want to take this with.
    The playlist or feed is hosted on a site called live365.com. I called their support and this was where they directed me

http://wiki.live365.com/pmwiki.php?n...t.CustomPlayer

So it seems that the URL that I need to include on the player is

http://www.live365.com/mini/playlist.html?station=USERNAME&hide=TWB&rows=1&time=-mm:ss
    &css=http://devweb01.nanocosm.com/pro/flashdemo2.css
    As for the Monday-Sunday, I have no idea what that is and I emailed my freelance place what is to be there. I may have to remove this section as it wont look and fit correctly on their website. The Harley Ad will be rotated with other ads every 30 seconds or min or two.

4. I unfortunately I had my completely free afternoon fill up with an impromtu 2 1/2 hour meeting. Let me check out the Flash file tomorrow that they provided and I can help you figure out a way to A) skin it, or B) what you may need to do to build one.

Also, the rotating ads, will you be updating those regularly? Will those be updated through a content management system? Are they pulled from a database? Same with the band schedules, where is that information stored, and are you/someone going to be updating that by hand, or is it done through a database also?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I unfortunately I had my completely free afternoon fill up with an impromtu 2 1/2 hour meeting. Let me check out the Flash file tomorrow that they provided and I can help you figure out a way to A) skin it, or B) what you may need to do to build one.

Also, the rotating ads, will you be updating those regularly? Will those be updated through a content management system? Are they pulled from a database? Same with the band schedules, where is that information stored, and are you/someone going to be updating that by hand, or is it done through a database also?
    I appreciate all your help on this.

As for rotating ads, I will be updating them but I dont know how often. I'm not sure if its possible, but on their FTP, i'll can setup a new folder such as "flash radio ad" and it will contain images of the ads. I dont know how it would work out but I was thinking of naming them "ad1.jpg", "ad2.jpg", "ad3.jpg". So if I wanted to update the ad, all I have to do is overwrite those ad1.jpg, ad2.jpg, ad3.jpg with the new image and the flash would automatically update itself with the new images.

This would be the easiest and most convenient way for me if possible.

As for that Monday-Sunday scheduling crap. i'm not even going to bother with that section. Their radio is played randomly from the playlist (http://www.urbanlatinoradio.com) and its not going to fit their website layout. They dont give me full information as to what they want it to exactly do and expect me to make it fully functional.
    Last edited by bandit; 13 Mar 2008 at 05:28 PM.

6. Just because you can do bevel and emboss doesn't mean you should.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tallarico View Post
    Just because you can do bevel and emboss doesn't mean you should.

Tommy Tallarico
    I didnt design it. Thats what they provided me and I just turn it functional.

8. Sorry I haven't responded to this thread in a while bandit, I've had a crazy busy past 5 days. If all goes according to plan I should be able to take a look at this today for you.