Thread: Linux help plz!

1. Linux help plz!

I have this laptop and this display. For the life of me I can NOT get them to work together.

With my last comp (12" Powerbook) I just plugged the fucker in and was dragging and dropping shit all over town. But now that I have this PC and am running Ubuntu 7.1 I can't do a damn thing with it.

A hundred times I have gone System->Administration->Screens and Graphics. It gives me the world's longest list of supported displays (srsly, like a thousand million) but AG neovo isn't there and none of the countless options I have tried will actually send a video signal to it. However the Vaio does seem to know it's there because if you start it up with the AG plugged in the screen of the laptop becomes totally fucking garbled and can take a frustrating amount of time trying to figure out where to point the mouse to restart the fucking thing. I have used a VGA to DVI adapter and it didn't work. So I thought perhaps it was because the comp only has a VGA out or something so I just hooked it up through the VGA cable and got the same results: Nothing.

Back in the day when I was abusing my roommates ADD meds this would have been a welcome challenge. Now I just need my shit to work. Can somebody that knows Linux (I've only been using it since December) please shed some light?

One billion thank yous in advance.

2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ternal+monitor

read through that, you'll probably have to do some tooling with xinerama and it'll be a real hacky method of doing what you want it to with multiple desktops; I don't think linux is at the point where it could send a laptop display output to an external display with ease yet

edit: I suggest this method with xinerama because from what I understand the "Screens & Displays" part of gnome in ubuntu 7.1 is still kind of flaky and beta
    Last edited by cka; 15 Mar 2008 at 05:21 PM.

3. Thanks alot cka I'm going to give it a try.

4. I just saw this, if you're still having troubles with your secondary monitor:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/beta
    The latest Xorg, Xorg 7.3, is available in Hardy, with an emphasis on better autoconfiguration with a minimal configuration file. This Beta brings a new Screen Resolution utility that allows users to dynamically configure the resolution, refresh rate, and rotation of a second monitor. This will be particularly handy for laptop users that connect to a projector or external monitor.