Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HDTV me!

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hmm... Most of the Samsungs I'm looking at seem to have the 8ms response time. In practical terms, how's that do for killing blur? I was originally set on 4ms or bust, but if it's imperceptible at 8 I suppose it's not that big a deal.

James
    The manufacturer's listed response time is meaningless, the companies measure it differently to fudge the numbers. 8, 6, or 4ms on a spec sheet doesn't matter. You have to see the set for yourself, or figure it out based on people's reviews of their experience. The Sammys are quality sets, they do not blur worse than Westys, Vizios, or any other make that might claim a lower response time.

read http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...onse-time.html
    Last edited by stormy; 16 Mar 2008 at 10:15 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The Vizio recommendation was based on the other thread's criteria. You're looking to spend 33% more IIRC, so you could easily get into the next tier of quality.
    Yeah, I'm looking for a more budget 42"+ LCD TV that does 1080p. My limitations are that what I've budgeted to spend.

From what I've read, as said, the Samsungs and Sonys are a tier above the Visios and Westinghouses, but none of those are shit by any means. If I had $2,000 to spend, I would go Samsung. From what I've read and also from personal positive experience with other Samsung products, I would go with the Samsung other TNLers have purchased that I have seen mentioned in haul threads.

I researched the Visio 47" LCD 1080p and it sounds solid. I may end up with that one.

Right now, we have a 37" Olevia (Circuit City house brand) LCD 720p TV. Very happy with it and no problems with it at all. This TV, we do just games and the occasional upscaled movie.

We're primarily going to go with HDTV and BR movies for the new TV. (Hooking up the PS3 only to this TV)

You sound like you want zero lag so it's going to be primarily gaming, no? I would check avsforum.com and check the HDTV lag threads. And in general, any TV on your radar should be researched by finding the AVS thread for it.

Mostly, it seems most people are happy with just about any TV. Every model seems to suffer from the DOAs and problems in a total YMMV fashion. Mostly.

Edit: Missed stormy's post. Response time listed is pure BS as is the contrast ratio. Avsforum will usually give you the straight shit on what the TV actually does.

3. I own the 37 inch Westinghouse 1080p lcd monitor and love it, but I have heard horror stories on the quality front of these tv's. It is very hit and miss and their customer service is horrible.

4. I just got the Toshiba Regza 32" LCD (on clearance at best buy for $650). It's a hidden gem - much better picture than the comparable yet more expensive 32" Samsung and Sony models. It also handles SD content better than them. It has a 14-bit internal processor, 3 HDMI inputs, 8ms or faster response time, etc. Highly recommended, and nothing in its price range even comes close.

I got the 2007 model (720p), but the 2008 model was just released and it now has 1080p. It sells for $900~$1000.

5. Surprise! Olivia!

We have an Olevia lcd which we love. It is waaaaaay less than a Samsung or a Sony, and actually, we have had several people tell us our Olevia has the best picture.

My dad has a Samsung, my inlaws have a Visio, and my brother in law has a Westinghouse, and they all say they are jealous of ours. Our friends just bought an Olevia after seeing our tv.

Please dont write it off just because its not one of the huge brands. At least go check it out. Olevia is awesome. And they have nice people working there too.
    Last edited by Anne Bonny; 25 Mar 2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: worst speller ever

6. I have an Olevia also. Awesome TV. The biggest downfall, for me, is the weight. It is damned heavy compared to other TVs it's size.

Freedom of Speech: Go ahead Al, make shit up.

7. *Olevia

But if your dad is jealous of your TV he should probably pay someone to set his up correctly for him.

8. For what it's worth, WIRED magazine reviewed a bunch of TVs in their annual Tech special and the top-rated one was an Olevia. Westinghouse was second (their only real gripe was slow-loading menus(?)).
    tweet the wet sprocket

ultimate showdown

9. Ya, I think people rely on name brands far too religiously and are afraid to spend money on new names.

Freedom of Speech: Go ahead Al, make shit up.

10. Olevia and Westinghouse just buy panels from the manufacturer and make TVs out of them. They can be good or bad depending on what panel they put in the set.

Samsung actually makes the panels. If you want the latest and best in LCD tech, you need to buy from one of the primary manufacturers. They put their high quality panels into their own model lines first. It costs more, and you do pay for the name (which can be mitigated by buying online), but you will have the latest and 'best' (hopefully, always read reviews).

It's all about price/performance and whereever you are comfortable on that scale. It annoys the hell out of me that people keep trying to say Olevia/Vizio/Westinghouse is as good as a Samsung or Sony.