Page 19 of 324 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Go, Economy!

1. We had high volume on Thursday's rally and the financials have reported to better than expected (not as bad as expected) results. The market may have temporariliy bottomed but it did set a new low for the 2008 trading range. High volume on an up day is typically seen as a sign of institutional accumulation which is generally a good thing. Thursday's rally registered the highest NYSE volume since March. I would consider rebalancing one's portfolio out of cash (where hopefully you had it unless you were short the market) and into an index, like the S&P 500. There seems to be an edge for the next 20 trading days but I would keep my eye on the market nonetheless to reassess if necessary.

2. Gooch - I just want to say one word to you - just one word -
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Plastics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Our economy is fine and has growth (AS LONG AS YOU'RE A MAJOR CORPORATION), what is happening is that the liberal media is bombarding our "fiscal crisis" to prop obama. You people are sheep.
    Small businesses are sucking for air. I see it all around me. I'm sorry the view from your office is blocked - it's pretty obvious to everyone besides you that the economy sucks. What is the stock market down this year? 20%? And you're talking about the economy being fine? Tell that to a middle-class house hold in Ma. (for example) that has to pay $5000.00 to heat their home this year. If the median income in Mass. is ~$59,000 (which it is as of 2006), that means ~10% of their income goes to HEAT for gods sake. A few years ago it was 25% of that.

Cushy exec. jobs usually means you're out of touch with the reality that average americans face. You're a shining example.

5. The economy is in the shitter, you have to be blind and stupid not to see it.

6. 1/22/01

DOW..10,578.24
    S&P...1,360.40
    GE.......38.29*
    HAL......17.20*
    USD-EUR...1.07
    Gas.......1.46**

7/18/08

DOW..11,496.57 (+8.7%)
    S&P...1,260.68 (-7.3%)
    GE.......28.00 (-26.9%)
    HAL......46.98 (+173.1%)
    USD-EUR...0.63 (-41.1%)
    Gas.......4.05** (+177.4%)

* Close price adjusted for dividends and splits.
    ** Average US gasoline price grabbed from http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...s_history.html, all others grabbed from http://finance.yahoo.com/.
    can I lolololol now?

EDIT: also lolololol at biff's GE.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 21 Jul 2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: gas prices lolol
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. In all fairness to the Bush-Cheney regime, BHI, and SLB even more so. If you want to go long the bucket of these companies, OIH has been on a tear.
    Last edited by Gooch; 21 Jul 2008 at 02:14 PM.

8. I was going to reply back to biff's PM, but apparently he enjoys keeping all 100 of his old ones too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    LOL GE!

Might be funny if you had one fucking clue what to look at in terms of why our stock is down (we are acquiring companies with large debts to seize their martketshare) I would buy a gob of GE stock if I were you.
    You get your dander up so easy.

GE's f-n massive. Is it really such a good idea to go buy more shit?
    You heard it first here kids, buy GE!

9. The plummetted for a different reason.

GE fell on Q1 due to the same shit that is hitting the financials (liquidity crunch). GE is seen by many as nothing more than a big financial anyway. The Street was really p'od that GE did not preannounce as many other firms in a similar situation did. It will take GE a while to recover, imo, as the distribution may have slowed down but I think it will trade sideways for a while.

10. Doc apparently doesn't get what "private" means or how business is run.

GE will show better than expected profits in Q3 and be back to their former status by Q2 09. All I'm saying is it's good holding stock if you don't white knuckle it day by day.