Page 316 of 324 FirstFirst ... 302312314315316317318320 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 3231

Thread: Go, Economy!

1. Go, Economy!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah this is pretty misleading in some obvious ways, the most immediately glaring of which is that the most affordable and least affordable places (Newark and New York) are, in fact, part of the very same metro area, a few minutes away, with extensive affordable public transportation connecting them. It probably isn't reasonable to assume people live and work in the same zip code, as that's not how modern cities work.

Also, in most cities, the more affordable housing is in the inner city, as well as the jobs, while the nicer housing is in the suburbs. In New York the housing is inverted, with the inner city having the most expensive housing and the suburbs and remote parts of the city being more affordable. But even in the inner city it's a weird mish-mash, because rent control and section 8 keeps prices low for a good deal of working class people, while anyone moving to the city now looking for a place is going to pay insane prices.
    I think this thing just took (average salary data) - (COL for área) and since rents are the biggest part of COL variation that's what they arrived at. Which is why Newark is so much better than NYC there, as it's significantly cheaper.

The problem with NYC housing regulations is simple, it helps only the people it helps. Hence you get into situations where 5,000 people apply for 75 affordable units in a new building. And rent control is so full of fraud and so poorly policed I doubt it's helping many people who need it. And these things end up hurting the people who it is not helping as it lowers incentive to build and supply across the board.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 09 Sep 2017 at 12:28 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    área
    Well, aren't they fancy!
    Boo, Hiss.

3. i have the spanish keyboard set up on my iPhone and sometimes it switches on its own and does that.

4. Racist.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. New York City has an honest to goodness communist as mayor, who hates private property, wants to implement a command economy, and micromanage peoples' lives.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...versation.html

Where's McCarthy when you need him?

7. As much as I liked Andrew, I just don't think a Weekend at de Blasio's type scenario would work.

I am elated that he realizes that what he wants is "not reachable right now." Let's keep it that way.

9. What's with that fucking suit, Tony Clifton??
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    As much as I liked Andrew, I just don't think a Weekend at de Blasio's type scenario would work.