Page 5 of 324 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Go, Economy!

1. It's not that I don't care about the economy, it's that I have a hard time getting past the idea that it's really just a lot of people going "If we believe it hard enough it'll be true". It's not based on anything concrete (IE hard currency) so it all just seems like it's made of pixie dust to me.

And it's not that I'm ignorant of the subject, I just disagree with most of the world.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    So I'm reading more about this Bear Sterns thing... we're kinda goosed, aren't we?
    It really depends. I think we could be OK now, but if the market panics and runs on Lehman Brothers, I think we could be fucked.

3. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    It's not based on anything concrete (IE hard currency) so it all just seems like it's made of pixie dust to me.
    It's based on growth and on adding value, multiplied by some factor that represents market confidence. There's a lot of fluff but it is certainly based on something tangible and important.

Hard currency is a bunch of bullshit, anyway. It's not 1780, we don't need a bunch of gold to produce value.

4. No, but you can't really measure "market confidence".

And what's happening right now isn't doing any favors to convincing me it's not just a house of cards.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. You can make very short term gains based solely on successful company announcements. I've done it before. Made money over 2 days and then pulled out. It's obviously risky. No guts, no glory.

I find it extremely amusing that an investment company with audacity to hold the word bear in its name has gone belly up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. It's not that amusing. Sucks for those employees holding onto their stock for their retirement, though. $2 a share? Fucking ouch.

7. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    No, but you can't really measure "market confidence".

And what's happening right now isn't doing any favors to convincing me it's not just a house of cards.
    Yeah you can. It's called the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's based in real value. If a security gets too far away from what its value is, these huge institutions smell the chance to swoop in and make money. Sometimes they're wrong, and shit like this happens three events later.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    It's not that amusing.
    It really wouldn't have been funny if they didn't get bought.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Your broker must love taking your money.
    My monthly volume gets me discounts, but dodging trades because of commissions is like holding on to a stock too long just to get long-term capital gain treatment. My point is that an exit strategy is more important than an entry strategy making the actual holding period irrelevant as it pertains to your investment or trading objective.

Bear Stearns was trading over $100 recently. The market has been waiting for a fall. Lehman almost was on the ropes this morning but they recovered.

Are we still talking about cereal? I had these cinnamon and something or other shredded wheat and it was like candy.

10. I'm more of an oatmeal guy, or grits.