Thread: TNL Comic / Manga Club: Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

1. Thumbs Up TNL Comic / Manga Club: Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

So you ever thought you had an ingenious idea for a crazy comic book character or concept? Turns out Grant Morrison has probably stolen the idea from you even before you had it.

Have you ever read something where you understand it fine, but just wrapping your mind around, makes your head spin in circles? Truly Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol is one of the best examples of that ever. It is just mind boggling.

Grant Morrison's run is several story arcs and a few one shots of pure kook. Ape girl with real "imaginary friends"? Check. Crazy woman with multiple personality disorder with different powers for each personality? Check. A transgendered sentient roadway? Check. A painting that could eat the world? Check. A magic LSD bus? Oh yeah check.

I can't say much to much with out ruining half the fun of these books, but I have to say they are the most insane things I've ever read. Story wise the events are clear and the pacing is wonderful, it's just the concepts of what is going on make you go "just how does someone think of crazy shit like this". Truly this is a great example of just what Grant Morrison can really do, if you let him run free.

My personal favorite story arc is in Book 2, The Painting That Ate Paris. In this the Brotherhood of Dada (The new Brotherhood of Evil) headed by Mr. Nobody use a painting to suck Pairs into an alternate reality, which is made of several different art movements most notable surrealism.

I don't know if everyone would like this, it is strange and not normal at all, but it's diffidently worth checking out.

Amazon links:
    Volume 1 | Volume 2 | Volume 3 | Volume 4 | Volume 5 | Volume 6
    Last edited by Brand; 17 Mar 2008 at 06:59 PM.

2. What a great series. I need to sit down and read the collections sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. I'll vouch for this. "The Painting That Ate Paris" was exceptionally good.
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird

4. I hate this thread because it got me looking at Wikipedia for DC/Vertigo info for two fucking hours.

5. Welcome to the Club!

6. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    I hate this thread because it got me looking at Wikipedia for DC/Vertigo info for two fucking hours.
    There are a lot of great not well known Vertigo titles. I personally recomend American Virgin (which was great but was canceled so the ending is super rushed), Northlanders, Sandman Mystery Theatre (this is not the Neil Gaiman Sandman but based on old Golden age character very Detective Noir), andTransmetropolitan (probably Warren Ellis' best work).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    There are a lot of great not well known Vertigo titles. I personally recomend American Virgin (which was great but was canceled so the ending is super rushed), Northlanders, Sandman Mystery Theatre (this is not the Neil Gaiman Sandman but based on old Golden age character very Detective Noir), andTransmetropolitan (probably Warren Ellis' best work).
    Funny you mention Warren Ellis...