Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB drive unformatted?

1. TestDisk worked. Its a bit weird to work with but turns out both the fat and the boot sector were fucked. TestDisk copied out a backup of the fat, rebuilt the bootsector and the drive works again.
    Making an image of the drive on a real HD before i mess with it further .

Thx all.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MarsKitten View Post
    Okay so I'm migrating my mac to leopard. I backup everything to an external HD. Basically I had to reinstall osx tiger then i decided to go leopard. During this process I plugged in my usb drive and it said it was unformatted, where's my data and how can i get it back.

When it said it was not recognized I clicked initialize. I think that mighta of formatted it?

You can try Stellar Phoenix Macintosh data recovery software to recover your data from formatted mac hard drive. Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Recovers data from Mac OS X & Max Classic OS hard drives based on HFS, HFS+, HFSX and HFS Wrapper file systems. Recover data from inaccessible internal and external hard drives including Lacie, USB, FireWire and other storage media.
    You can download the demo version from: http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/

3. late to the party and a spam bot.