Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dystopian Fiction

Dystopian Fiction

I'm a fan of this genre but haven't read a huge amount of stuff. I'm familiar with the big name 20th century stuff like Orwell, Huxley, Zamyatin, Rand, and Bradbury. Any other recommendations?

2. Here's a good list, although I think The Handmaid's Tale is feminist tripe.
    http://listverse.com/literature/top-...topian-novels/
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird

3. Iron Heel is a real overlooked classic.

I have read most of the stuff on that list (including Handmaid for an English class)but not Iron Heel. I should check that out. I loved the movie version of Children of the Men so I'm interested in the book, too.

5. Handmaid's Tale isn't my favorite Atwood. I like Oryx & Crake a lot more.

6. A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick leans in that direction, along with some of his other works, including Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    Handmaid's Tale isn't my favorite Atwood. I like Oryx & Crake a lot more.
    Oryx & Crake was awesome. I want some ChickieNobs.

8. Dystopian Fiction

As for me, the most thrilling dystopian book is "We" by a russian author Zamyatin. Btw, it was one of the pioneers of this genre written in something like 1920, and it had its influence on works of Orwell, Bradbury and Huxley.

9. Dystopian Fiction

On Facebook, Kendra said she liked dystopian novels and shed like a list, so here are some ones I enjoyed. I included graphic novels, too.First, the Big Names:Oryx and Crake by Margaret AtwoodThe Handmaids Tale by Margaret AtwoodJennifer Government by Max BarryFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyA Scannder Darkly by Philip K. DickDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer young adultLord of the Flies by William GoldingCount Zero by William GibsonVirtual Light by William GibsonBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Giver by Lois Lowry young adultI am Legend by Richard Matheson so much better than the film versionsBatman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank MillerV for Vendetta by Alan MooreWatchmen by Alan Moore1984 by George OrwellSpares by Michael Marshall SmithThe Diamond Age by Neal StephensonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsUglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras by Scott Westerfeld young adult seriesY: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia GuerraWe by Yevgeny ZamyatinOnes Ive read and hated/actively disliked:Naked Lunch by William BurroughsNeuromancer by William Gibson I like his other work a lot betterAtlas Shrugged by Ayn RandBlindness by Jose SaramagoLet me know if you wish to know why specificially I liked/dislike a certain book

10. Punctuation motherfucker.