Thread: K Tech masterminds

1. K Tech masterminds

Randomly, my CD Burner will shut off my computer.

Just completely shut it off. Whether I'm burning or trying to play a disc in it. It will either happen when it starts to spin, or starts to slow down. But sometimes it won't.

It will happen nearly every time I try to go over 16x CD burning speed, right at the start of the spinning cycle. But the bizzarre thing is, it will happen nearly every single time at the end of the slowest cycle (8X). None of the speed settings are safe.

Its not miswired. And it doesn't appear to be overheating.

Any ideas people?

Cause I'm stumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

2. Is it hooked up via IDE or SATA? If SATA, try switching which port you have it hooked up to. If possible you can try another burner and know for sure if it's that or something else. Did you recently add a component but keep your power supply?

3. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    Is it hooked up via IDE or SATA? If SATA, try switching which port you have it hooked up to. If possible you can try another burner and know for sure if it's that or something else. Did you recently add a component but keep your power supply?
    Its been like this since I built the computer. So yeah I have added things but it was doing that randomly anyway. Its not just when burning, its when it spins at all. Also yeah its IDE not SATA, but maybe it shoudl be.
    Last edited by youandwhosearmy; 04 Apr 2008 at 09:43 AM.

4. i'm thinking you have Windows set to reboot in the event of an error instead of blue screening and it may just be the burning app crashing your rig. try burning with another program and see if it still happens.

Assuming you're using XP, this is how to force a BSOD to get a STOP code.
    Right click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop and select Properties, Advanced, Start-Up and Recovery, System Failure and uncheck box before
    Automatically Restart.

Do not re-enable automatic restart on system failure until you have
    resolved the problem. Check for variants of the Stop Error message.

5. I'm gonna try that Dyne, but the problem is, it happens when I try to spin ANY CD in any program.

Not as much as when I try to burn though.

6. other than my last idea, faulty drive or psu.

Specs plz, in particular the drive model and OS.

8. haunted

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    other than my last idea, faulty drive or psu.
    It sounds like either a flaky power supply crapping out under the load, or a poorly ventilated case causing the cpu to overheat when the burner ramps up.