Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device

1. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    That's the thing. I'd actually want a little bit of bulk to it.
    Kindle + stack of comic books + duct tape IMO

2. No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Also, LAWL at the Amazon one costing $100 more.
    The Amazon version has the benefit of the Amazon library. A shitload of books to buy with no need for WiFi is enough to get people to cough up an extra $100.

And besides, these things will all be $150 before you can blink. Early adopters and new screen tech and all that.

4. The Sony Reader came out in 2006.

If it was going to see a huge price drop it would have happened already.

5. Not enough early adopters. More of these things sell, the cheaper they're going to get. Breeds competition and what-not, tech gets cheaper to produce.

Nobody buys it, it improves slower and remains expensive.

6. The problem is no one is going to care until it's $100.

Long road ahead, imo.

7. Thinking on it a bit more, I'd probably go for it if it was $200. I woudn't mind reading a bunch of RSS stuff on the way to work.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 20 Mar 2008 at 02:47 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Not enough early adopters. More of these things sell, the cheaper they're going to get. Breeds competition and what-not, tech gets cheaper to produce.

Nobody buys it, it improves slower and remains expensive.
    Here's the problem: Nobody needs a palm-top computer that only plays books and MP3s.
    The hook here is a book-size screen that can been seen under any book-level lighting conditions and the insane battery life that comes with it. Put a proper Windows Mobile or Palm or Unix operating system on one of these and maybe throw a phone on one SKU and now we're talking.

Once the color screens come out, that will help too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    You are crazy.

Also, LAWL at the Amazon one costing $100 more.
    You really have no clue what you are talking about. This thing shits all over the Sony reader in every possible way. There is not one thing that the Sony reader does better than the Kindle.

I bought one of these for my wife for her birthday and she loves it. Like Cheebs said, you really have to see the screen to believe it. With the amount of books my wife reads and the special orders she does sometimes just to get large print, this thing will pay for itself in no time. On top of that, being able to get newspapers and magazines delivered to it every morning is a fucking awesome feature.

10. I was checking out the Kindle over the holidays, fell in love with the screen. Three things killed my interest in it; price, the inability to load .pdf's onto it, and the inability to swap/trade/give books to people. After I read a good book I like to pass it around to be read and discussed. The Kindle has extreme DRM that won't allow it.