Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Ports Not Working

1. USB Ports Not Working

My brother-in-law moved to the states about a year ago and left his PC behind (a Gateway with an Athlon 64). He recently said my wife and I could have it, since our PC is old as hell (Pentium 4). I hooked it up and got everything working, but it wouldn't take my optical mouse. I knew it couldn't be a drive or something because the mouse is plug-'n-play. When I went to use a jump drive, I got nothing on all of the 5 USB ports. Is there something I need to activate or configure? I can't believe everything else works perfectly and all the USB ports are dead.

Any ideas?

2. If anything, you can get a PCI USB card very cheap and that should fix/replace things.

$8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815124007

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    My brother-in-law moved to the states about a year ago and left his PC behind (a Gateway with an Athlon 64). He recently said my wife and I could have it, since our PC is old as hell (Pentium 4). I hooked it up and got everything working, but it wouldn't take my optical mouse. I knew it couldn't be a drive or something because the mouse is plug-'n-play. When I went to use a jump drive, I got nothing on all of the 5 USB ports. Is there something I need to activate or configure? I can't believe everything else works perfectly and all the USB ports are dead.

Any ideas?
    Had the same thing happen to me, but my IT guru fixed it, I know he didn't replace anything, or I would have been down for a day or two.

I'll ask him tomorrow.

4. Thanks to both of you.

5. My Digital Media Manager isn't working either, so it won't read my SD cards either. Everything else is fine though. WTF?

The computer was sitting in a closet for a year. Does this shit deactivate after a while or something?

6. did his usb ports ever work?

7. I have no idea. I'd assume so, since he bought the machine new and never mentioned anything about them being faulty to me (I'm the only one in the family with any computer knowledge, so they tend to come to me for help).

It's unlikely, but check to make sure that the USB ports are switched to "ON" in the bios. If it has a 1.1 and a 2.0 switch try toggling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    since our PC is old as hell (Pentium 4).
    Upgrade your bios if you can and or reinstall the drivers for the usb host.

P4's are more than gonna supply you with the proc power you need to do anything... except current gaming or graphic work. Im still on my Athon XP 1700 I built in 2001.

10. also if they're usb 2.0 ports, you'll need at least SP1 on that macine for them to operate at 2.0 speeds. i've also sometimes seen ports oddly enough not work at all until SP1 was installed (instead of operating at 1.0 speeds).

also
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329632