Thread: LOL at Vista. Please help.

1. LOL at Vista. Please help.

Ok. So Opaque fried his motherboard and we replaced it with an EVGA 780i mobo. It's pretty sweet.

Anyhow. We're trying to restore Vista (Ultimate 64) but it cant boot up because of something to do with the mobo drivers.

So: how do I get Vista back up and running without reinstalling the goddamn thing? I'm out of ideas, and Opaque is ready to pull out his hair.

If there isn't a workaround for that, how do we grap the Vista CD key off his old harddrive? Belarc wont pull anything from a slave drive, so thats not working. And his old roommate threw out his OEM license key.

Please help. He's gonna cry.

2. if it's a completely different chipset between the two motherboards you'll NEED a reformat. sometimes you can repair but it will eventually go south on you.

this would happen with any OS so please stfu about "LOL @ Vista".

magical jellybean finds the key code but i'm pretty sure you would have to be in the OS on the drive it's installed on to retrieve it.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/produc...bkeyfinder.htm

i'm assuming you can't start it in safe/recovery mode with the windows cd in the drive?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    LOL @ passionate damage control over operating systems

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

4. no it's just common sense. use linux or windows and there's no way to make a major hardware change like that without problems.

i'm sure if MAC's were more upgradable (i.e. changing mobo's) OSX would even have that issue.

5. you'll have to reinstall wtih a mobo change, and lol at "roommate threw away oem key"

6. Well, we went and grabbed another motherboard(the same that died) and booted up. Grabbed the CD key with Belarc and Now he's upstairs reinstalling Vista. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    if it's a completely different chipset between the two motherboards you'll NEED a reformat. sometimes you can repair but it will eventually go south on you.

You don't always need to reformat. I've done it before but not with Vista. I was just hoping someone had a workaround for it.

Also: please STFU about being an overzealous prick. ITS FUN TO SAY GODDAMNIT.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    no it's just common sense. use linux or windows and there's no way to make a major hardware change like that without problems.

i'm sure if MAC's were more upgradable (i.e. changing mobo's) OSX would even have that issue.

True....

Good call on getting the exact same mobo... hope it works out.

8. We reinstalled.

It sucks rebuilding my software library, favorites and such. Still, I have everything important on an external hard drive, a way better MOBO now and probably 4 or 5 thousand more points on 3Dmark06.

ALSO: Q6600 running at 1333FSB and 3.0Ghz!
    Last edited by Opaque; 28 Mar 2008 at 01:01 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    a way better MOBO now and probably 4 or 5 thousand more points on 3Dmark06.
    ungh. 3dmark scores are pretty worthless. they're a vague benchmark and should only be treated as such.