Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziff Davis Files for Chapter 11

1. Ziff Davis Files for Chapter 11

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...srTCwD8V7MNDO0

Crazy. Their print area just doesn't pay the bills anymore. Same with newspapers, actually.

Apparently, one of my teachers was walking by a dump in New York City and saw a HUGE pile of Newsday newspapers from all over the past decade just sitting there. Honestly, that's where Newsday belongs, but considering people buy it regardless, it says something about the time we live in.

Just when are publishers going to use the internet properly?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Young, an idiot
    "We feel like we're in a position poised for wonderful growth," Ziff Davis Chief Executive Jason Young said Wednesday. "We just needed to solve this issue."
    Of course you're in a position of growth. You HAVE to grow. Fuck I'd like piss in a bucket and throw it in this guys face.

Is it a surprise that video game magazine's have shitty ass subscription rates when the entire racket is only run to jerk off the latest big news game a publisher has in the pipe? Get some integrity and balls and people might actually have a reason to buy your magazine. Lord knows quality writing isn't the draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. don't people use chapter 11 to restructure past debts a lot of times? if so, this doesn't necessarliy mean they're going anywhere.

4. They're probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. I lol'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    STFU GTFO

6. They're not. This news is pretty old, and I remember reading a few weeks ago that ZD is just restructuring debts it's had for years. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the profitability of its magazines.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Is it a surprise that video game magazine's have shitty ass subscription rates when the entire racket is only run to jerk off the latest big news game a publisher has in the pipe? Get some integrity and balls and people might actually have a reason to buy your magazine.
    Pay attention. This is Ziff we're talking about, i.e. EGM, i.e. the guys who were harping about game publishers trying to influence their editorial content well before Gerstmann-gate. Their operation may have its share of problems, but integrity isn't one of them.
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 30 Mar 2008 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

8. Why buy a mag that will not be nearly as timely as what you can find on the intarwebs (especially when the "journalism" covers a tech field)?

Sports publications have a similar problem. The only mags I still buy are ones that go in-depth into politics/current events where the articles don't tell me what happens so much as they go in-depth on an issue. Videogames don't need that kind of coverage.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

9. If people want that coverage, methinks the magazines would have to give it in order to keep their audiences happy, no?