Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can this be done?

1. That vectorizer Dunlap recommended worked beautifully for the main logo, though the smaller text that arches at the top had some gaps that you could fix with some patience.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    Weird, I've never heard of people having much trouble or issue with it.

Maybe I'm just a pen tool master?
    I can outline anything you give me and do it without even using the toolbox. But typography is crafted by very skilled and patient artists in specialized foundries. All typography worth its salt is extremely delicate and one unsmooth anchor point could ruin an entire letter form. I'm also of the philosophy that "close" isn't acceptable. I want my fonts to be legitimate and looking amazing. Outlining type is one of the first things I was told not to do from practical experience. Though I work with high end clients so I doubt some guy with a cafe would notice.

Still, bad graphic form all around. I am self admittedly a typography whore, though.

Also if you're going to be gayburger and use trace then bumping up the contrast usually helps. The problem is all the jaggy bits coming off those Chai Oriental letterforms might be picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Bonny View Post
    Drewbacca, how dare you suggest Kinkos. Youre a bad person.
    I've been nice around here lately. In this case I was being legit. You just need a printer that can print at a higher line screen so you can check to see if your lines are crisp on a good quality proof. If you don't have access to a b&w xerox that can do it you can go down to your local print chop shop and get it done for you. I thought Kinkos did that sort of thing... I've never actually been in a kinkos before. But I did it in college all the time at our local Mailboxes Etc.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 05 Apr 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I can outline anything you give me and do it without even using the toolbox. But typography is crafted by very skilled and patient artists in specialized foundries. All typography worth its salt is extremely delicate and one unsmooth anchor point could ruin an entire letter form. I'm also of the philosophy that "close" isn't acceptable. I want my fonts to be legitimate and looking amazing. Outlining type is one of the first things I was told not to do from practical experience. Though I work with high end clients so I doubt some guy with a cafe would notice.

Still, bad graphic form all around. I am self admittedly a typography whore, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    99% of the time it's the designers that are all pissy about it
    Your clients wouldn't be able to tell either.

If you are doing such a bad job that you or your client's can tell you traced it, perhaps you need more practice with the pen tool.

Not saying you necessarily drewbacca, just saying in general.

4. Companies like Sony, Oracle, IBM and Ford have production staff in-house present at press approvals. If you print something on an offset web press they will notice every little nick and unleveled handle. Especially for something like typography and they are excruciatingly anal about it. If it's something like Chai Oriental you might be able to get away with it because it's not a common font. But if you try that with Gill Sans or Helvetica you will most likely get bit.

Still, bad practice to get in to.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 05 Apr 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    That vectorizer Dunlap recommended worked beautifully for the main logo, though the smaller text that arches at the top had some gaps that you could fix with some patience.
    She didn't want that part, though. I win!