Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Former MS exec says consoles will be dead in 5 to 10 years.

1. Former MS exec says consoles will be dead in 5 to 10 years.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...0-years/?biz=1

Sandy Duncan spent 15 years with Microsoft and as the former VP of Xbox Europe he played a key role in setting up Microsoft's console presence in the region. Now, however, Duncan believes that the very idea of the console itself could be on its way out. Speaking to That VideoGame Blog, he said that consoles could be extinct within five to 10 years.

"The industry is fundamentally driven by technology. I think dedicated games devices i.e. consoles (and handhelds) will die [out] in the next 5 to 10 years. The business model is very risky and the costs associated with creating new hardware are incredibly high," he commented. "There is a definite 'convergence' of other devices such as set top boxes. There's hardly any technology difference between some hard disc video recorders and an Xbox 360 for example. In fact in 5 to 10 years I don't think you'll have any box at all under your TV, most of this stuff will be 'virtualized' as web services by your content provider."

And if this does happen, it could represent a radical change to the structure of the video game industry itself and the hierarchy of the dominant players. "[Look] at how quickly Popcap or Oberon are growing, or look at what has happened to World of Warcraft in the last 3 to 4 years as so many more homes have easy access to decent broadband services," Duncan said. "Maybe you'll see YoYo Games competing with EA in 5 years... [and] why not?"

YoYo Games is a company Duncan founded with Michel Cassius.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01 Apr 2008 at 03:27 PM.

2. I sort of agree. Set-top boxes are the way of the future. Two things, though...

1) Many consoles are already set-top boxes.

2) Handhelds dying. lol

3. On the one hand, I've never liked the way console manufacturers meddle with content and abuse third party hardware/software providers, but on the other hand, Popcap can eat a dick.

4. As long as the controllers are good and online play/network is great, I don't see a problem. Then again, I don't think the current situation needs too much changing.

5. More bandwith needs to come into play here.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    I sort of agree. Set-top boxes are the way of the future. Two things, though...

1) Many consoles are already set-top boxes.
    This is true, but who is going to make a one set-top box to rule them all?

What it would take for this to happen:

1)The PS3 fails to crack 50 million units sold.

2)MS creates a partnership with several manufacturers to make the next Xbox console. Because they've failed to sell to a world-wide audience with the 360.

3) Nintendo realizes that the Wii is about as far as they can take console gaming.

7. sandy duncan?

8. Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post
    sandy duncan?

Peter Pan economics.

9. Consoles will be dead, dead like Valerie Hogan.

10. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
    As long as the controllers are good and online play/network is great, I don't see a problem.
    The contoller would be whatever controller you want to use. Without proprietary lockouts and absurd royalty fees, you would actually get to choose.