Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamping Play Online - Want Some Opinions

1. Yeah, the problem is, with a colored box like that it's going to clash badly with some artwork. The red meshes better with the Persona one, but it looks terrible with the Crisis Core one. And there will be other art it will work worse with. Definitely keep the art, but something needs to be done with the box.

Maybe a white or black box and have the title text be in the color of the section.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. i think maybe if he massively feathered/gradient....ed out to the background the edges of the color block and made it a not as harsh shape it would help. or to pick a shape from the actual artwork and duplicated that. not sure how much more involved that would be to have a non uniform template for every review.

3. Well, one of the problems is, I have to have a layout that works both with and without art. Stuff like press releases aren't going to have any artwork or images at all, and I either have to make a template that looks good both ways, or some up with some sort of article type-based generic graphic for anything that doesn't have art.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Maybe a white or black box and have the title text be in the color of the section.
    Here's why I haven't been going that route - to me, the result just doesn't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redtext.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	33904  
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. Hrrrmmm... yeah that doesn't look as good with the Persona art, but how does it look with the Crisis Core one?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Why not just have a font overlay. Without the box at all. So the HTML table will take on whatever the background is at the time aka the art.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Why not just have a font overlay. Without the box at all. So the HTML table will take on whatever the background is at the time aka the art.
    That was my original idea, but the problem ended up where I had to be very picky in what art I used, or the text too easily got kind of lost against the background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crisis.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	33905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	33906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	33907  

7. Yeh, the black with red text looked horrib le on the Crisis Core one.

The just white text doesn't look to bad though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    That was my original idea, but the problem ended up where I had to be very picky in what art I used, or the text too easily got kind of lost against the background.
    You could since you now made a table for the font ... use a dropshadow on the font.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    You could since you now made a table for the font ... use a dropshadow on the font.
    Okay, wait... you've got me confused here. What kind of dropshadow are you talking about?

There's a CSS command for dropshadows, but so far as I know, only Safari supports the dropshadow CSS so far. Otherwise, I could fake a dropshadow on the text by having two divs and moving the lower one 1px to the right and down, but that kind of fake drop shadow doesn't look that good.

10. Okay gotcha. The fake dropshadow might look fine on Firefox though. But I see what you're saying.

EDIT: Shidoshi check this out.

http://www.designmeme.com/articles/dropshadows/