Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: New Laptop: Mac VS PC

1. New Laptop: Mac VS PC

So, I'm looking to get a new laptop in the coming months and I was hoping to get some help picking between a Mac and a PC. For the past four years I've been using a G4 iBook and, while its treated me well, I just want to consider both platforms before I spend my (roughly) $1500 budget.

As for my laptop uses, I mostly use my computer for school (Microsoft Office) and as a multimedia player. I have about 80 gigs of MP3s that I currently have on an external hard drive but would love to house on the internal HD of my new machine. I very occasionally use Adobe programs such as inDesign and Photoshop but I could see my use of such things increasing in the future as I'll be helping a school paper launch and maintain a website/blog.

Again, I've been pretty happy with my Mac experience so far. Really, what's drawing me to trying a PC is wanting to try certain programs (admittidly largely games) that aren't compatible with PCs. Is this worth making the jump back to PC? Is Vista still a problem? Can I get a satisfactory, headache free machine for $1500 or a little under?
    Totally!

2. Quote Originally Posted by OMGrich View Post
    So, I'm looking to get a new laptop in the coming months and I was hoping to get some help picking between a Mac and a PC. For the past four years I've been using a G4 iBook and, while its treated me well, I just want to consider both platforms before I spend my (roughly) $1500 budget.

As for my laptop uses, I mostly use my computer for school (Microsoft Office) and as a multimedia player. I have about 80 gigs of MP3s that I currently have on an external hard drive but would love to house on the internal HD of my new machine. I very occasionally use Adobe programs such as inDesign and Photoshop but I could see my use of such things increasing in the future as I'll be helping a school paper launch and maintain a website/blog.

Again, I've been pretty happy with my Mac experience so far. Really, what's drawing me to trying a PC is wanting to try certain programs (admittidly largely games) that aren't compatible with PCs. Is this worth making the jump back to PC? Is Vista still a problem? Can I get a satisfactory, headache free machine for $1500 or a little under?
    If you are getting it for gaming, it really depends on what games you are talking about. I haven't been keeping up too much with power compared to price for PC laptops, but I would think a $1500 PC laptop would not be able to handle most of todays games all that well. As far as Vista goes, there are many mixed reviews. Some of us here love it, others of us hate it. I for one cannot stand Vista. I got my first Mac in about 8 years and I can honestly say that the only reason I would build/buy another PC is if I really needed to play PC games. If there are windows programs you really need, you can always instal XP/Vista throut bootcamp to use those programs on your Mac, or if you prefer use one of the several other programs out there that allow you to run Windows on a Mac. I am a little biased now, but I would say if you have had good times with your mac, then stick with it. After my switch over I don't think I will ever go back to Windows unless I have to.

3. I should clarify, by games I mostly mean the indie games. Stuff like Fez, Tower of Goo (or whatever that game was called), Audiosurf - this all really interests me.
    Totally!

4. In that case, my point still stands that you can still put windows on a Mac if you really want.

5. Good point, good point. Is bootcamp easy to install/use?
    Totally!

6. Very easy. It steps you through all the way, and if that isn't enough you can even find a very detailed manual on Apple's website.

7. You can get more power for gaming with a PC laptop than you can with a Macbook. Period.

I have machines in my store with the same processor as the Macbook Pros, more memory and SLI 8600s for about $1,500. They also have larger hard drives, more hook ups and HDMI out carrying audio.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    You can get more power for gaming with a PC laptop than you can with a Macbook. Period.

I have machines in my store with the same processor as the Macbook Pros, more memory and SLI 8600s for about $1,500. They also have larger hard drives, more hook ups and HDMI out carrying audio.
    Price/performance ratios aren't everything.

Tommy Tallarico is just a little bit over 5 feet tall, but I get more pussy in a weekend than the rest of you get in your entire life. I've nailed more women than days you've been alive.

Go for a refurbished or used MacBook Pro. PC laptops are fucking ghetto.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

9. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    You can get more power for gaming with a PC laptop than you can with a Macbook. Period.

I don't get how anyone that owns a Wii and a brain can argue price/performance ratios.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

10. So, running a game through XP/Vista on a Macbook with:

Intel Core2Duo @ 2.4Ghz and 800FSB
    2Gb DDR2 PC5300
    8600GT 512
    200GB SATA HDD 5400RPMs

Would somehow perform better than a Toshiba laptop running a game in Vista with:

Intel Core2Duo @ 2.4Ghz and 800FSB
    3Gb DDR2 PC5300
    SLI Dual 8600GT 512s
    320GB SATA HDD 7200RPMs

Really?

I had no idea that the same processor, more memory, dual video cards and a faster hard drive would perform worse if Apple didn't put the machine together and charge you an additional $1,200. Come on Kano, you're better than that.
    Last edited by Opaque; 05 Apr 2008 at 01:48 AM.