Thread: Unmountable boot disk volume

1. Unmountable boot disk volume

So we got home from diner tonight and my mom's laptop gave her the BSOD. The problem, unmountable boot disk volume. I figured it was an HDD problem, looked it up online, threw in the windows disc and am running windows recovery. Chkdsk /p showed that there are 1 or more errors, and Chkdsk /r is still running as I type this. I am guessing the HDD is just plain done and needs to be replaced. My mom is a professional photographer, and luckily she, and myself make sure she has backed up most of here important works. However there may still be some recent stuff on there that has not been able to be backed up. While there have been posts on this before (so sue me), what is the best method to getting back at least some of the data on the drive? I am guessing I am going to have to take out the drive, which I suppose I could throw in my extra PC laptop. I've been fortunate and never had to deal with bad drives, so any pointers or steps in the right direction would be great.

EDIT: Chkdsk /r is going really really slow, which I don't know if it is supposed to be this slow or not. Much much slower than Chkdsk /p. what should I do?
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 06 Apr 2008 at 02:13 AM.

2. wait for it to finish

this happened to my moms computer once; I thought the hard drive was finished but a scandisk and defrag later and it's still going top-notch... I'd make a backup of her stuff when it does become bootable however, just to be on the safe side

3. Yeah its probably starting to go bad (meaning this might happen again every so often), make backups often from now on.

4. The computer was able to restart and I backed up all the stuff she needed. She was planning/thinking about getting a new laptop soon anyways. Guess this will help her make a decision.