Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voxelstein 3D

1. Voxelstein 3D

Voxels are doofy, so I like this.

It's a Wolf3D-themed test game (stage or two?) build on Ken Silverman's Voxlap engine. Absolutely everything is made from voxels, allowing for goofy shit like cutting through metal bars. Kinda neat to mess with.

It's also pretty easy to mess with the config file and make the weapons way better at carving through everything. And holding m+i+l will give you full ammo for everything.

http://voxelstein3d.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by Tain; 21 Apr 2008 at 01:39 AM.

2. Voxel engines were a cool idea before 3D accelerators rendered them useless. They were always my favorite part of old school demos.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Voxel engines were a cool idea before 3D accelerators rendered them useless. They were always my favorite part of old school demos.
    Voxels still have a place in gaming, since they can actually simulate volume in a much more natural way than polygons. Hell, Crysis uses voxels to help generate the landscape, though they're never actually visable to the player. One of the 3D Worms games also used a weird combination of voxels and polygons to determine terrain destruction and then render the result.

That said, they're still ugly as shit, which this thing proves nicely, and using them to render an entire game will never be viable simply because with increased detail, system requirements skyrocket compared to similarly detailed polygon-based engines. They're pretty much doomed to under the hood stuff and technical applications these days, but they're still got a place.

4. I remember voxels too... what's that helicopter game? It was definitely cool before 3D cards.

5. I remember Westwood's old Blade Runner game used voxels to display the characters...and they looked like total shit, even way back then.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I remember voxels too... what's that helicopter game? It was definitely cool before 3D cards.
    Comanche.

Is this supposed to look like shit?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Comanche.
    Good times

9. The point of this exercise was to make Wolf3D look fucking worse?

An Ascii version would look better than this bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I don't understand why all the enemies are 8 feet tall.