Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading RAM?

1. Upgrading RAM?

Ok, I have 2 gigs of ram, but I'm on an upgrade swing with my computer. One of the easiest things I can think of it upgrade it is to add more RAM. I know my computer can fit 4 gigs.

I've been told that it's not going to make a difference in my computer speed. I do use a lot of "heavy" programs like photoshop, flash, ect. I've also read in a couple of places windows won't be able to read all 4 gigs any way.

So can anyone help inform me better on the goings on of RAM? Pretty please?

2. If you use 32 bit Windows, it will recognize just over 3 gigs of memory, but not the full 4. It will recognize even less if you have a graphics card that uses a ton of memory as well.

My suggestion would be to see if your computer can handle higher speed memory and keep it at 2 gigs. Say you have 2 gigs running at 533mz, see if you can find compatible, higher performance memory that runs at 800 in dual channel.

3. First of all, more ram is almost always good.

Second of all, and this is pretty important, its not really an impulse purchase. You have to make sure A) your motherboard has no compatiblity issues with the brand you intend to buy and B) make sure you double check to see if you have to change any jumper settings to get the maximum speed out of em.

*Also what Trial said.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

4. Don't listen to YAWA, he just killed his PC.

I have a Pentium D (both CPUs 300mhz) and 2 gigs of ram. It runs any program in Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects) smooth as butter.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. RAM always pisses me off, all the different brands, types, etc. I'm working with a mac that holds 16gb of Ram and I have it to 5gb right now... not sure I wanna do the full 16gb (would be cool to see though). Anyway, I would just max it out if I were you... can't hurt (unless you buy the wrong shit). I went with Crucial and the memory I got through them works great... anybody have any other memory retailers they would recommend?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Don't listen to YAWA, he just killed his PC.

I have a Pentium D (both CPUs 300mhz) and 2 gigs of ram. It runs any program in Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects) smooth as butter.
    Hey, thats almost killed my PC.

I'm just not used to the flexiblity of modern power supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

7. My laptop runs pretty laggy; I think it's time I upgrade from half a gig of RAM.

8. Upgrading RAM is the easiest thing you could do.

9. If you can load an NES cartridge, you can install RAM.

The trick is making sure your RAM is compatible with the rest of your system.

If you're looking for a significant speed boost, though, you might want to consider a processor upgrade.

10. more ram keeps the bitgoblins from eating your files

Quote Originally Posted by youandwhosearmy View Post
    ... double check to see if you have to change any jumper settings ...
    what kinda shitty old hardware are you using that still has jumpers