Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Direct TV

1. Direct TV

Okay, I'm moving into a new (old) house and want to get away from the "triple-play", IO, etc.. conglomerate. Tell me why I should get Direct TV? Is it worth it from the standpoint of having DTV and bringing in Verizon for phone/internet or is cable the best way to go?

2. God, I so hate Cablevision. Thank you for having the good sense of trying to leave them, Haoh.

The one thing you need to consider with dropping the "'Play" is that your internet is going to get freaking expensive. DSL is cheap from Verizon, but you might do well to check out Verizon's deal with internet, phone, cable, etc.

THAT IS UNLESS YOU MISS NEWS 12. SUCH HORRORS. HAOH, CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT THE WORST NEWS REPORTING IN THE HISTORY OF MAN? MY GOD, I CAN'T GET BY WITHOUT THEIR HARD-HITTING STORIES THAT BREAK WHEN OLD LADIES WALK IN THE DOOR BITCHING ABOUT SOMETHING. I ALSO CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEIR TRAFFIC AND WEATHER REPORTS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT AN INTERNET IS.

Seriously, I've heard good things about Verizon.

3. I have had Direct for years now, and they have been fantastic.

I get at least triple the HD channels that any of the local cable companies here offer, and a much better HD picture than comcast with thier new "squeeze em' till its blocky" policy.
    SD on the regular sats look like crap, but even the upconverted SD on the "HD" (MTV and VH1 come to mind, have yet to see any real HD on them, not DTV's fault) channels looks great, and the remaning SD only channels worthy of note I can think of number in the few, Comedy Central for one, Fox News is the only other popular one I can think off.

The HD-DVR isn't Tivo anymore, but to be honest, I don't miss it. Its loads faster and easier to use than any of the Motorola HD cable boxes I have had the misfortune of using.

DTV is also bringing yet another Satelite online, giving them even more HD capacity in the coming months, while cable companies are struggling for bandwidth.

I can't speak for FIOS TV as Its simply not here, but I do they they are a bit lacking on the HD content as well, and some systems only support 1 HD stream at a time, so if you want to record 2 HD shows at the same time, you're boned.

4. I just can't stand another IO commercial. That and Geico. Oh, and the NY Lottery.

Fuck News 12. I never watch it.

5. I'd have Direct TV if they didn't have cell phone esque contracts that they constantly renew on you.

6. I've had experience with Optimum Triple Play here at home and DirecTV at my girlfriend's house.

Cablevision on LI is a little spotty at times with customer service. For the longest time their connection would drop out and come back in multiple times a day, for weeks and weeks on end. They insisted it was a modem or cable issue, not our connection. It took threats that we'd switch until they would send a tech and repair the problem. On the plus side though their HD service is free and is adding more channels all the time. And their DVR box is pretty neat.

Of course DirecTV is no saint either. Typically they will fuck you on dish placement, always managing to put it at the worst location, and they're pretty unapolagetic about spotty signals when they happen, and bad weather can make it unwatchable.

But that's just service related. In terms of content, satellite has more channels, and more HD versions of regular channels. But signal can really suck in bad weather for real, and there's a broadcast delay of at least 10-15 seconds.

Basically, if you can put up with a few hiccups from Satellite, it's the more extensive option. I'm not to sure about prices though. I haven't asked what DirecTV costs.

7. They only renew if you get new equipment form them at a discount.

8. I've had DirecTV for years too and have minimal complaints. They've made a billing error when i switched over to HD but I got that resolved and they gave me a 10/month credit for a year as well.

The picture is great, especially the HD channels and the number of HD channels is far greater than any other option I looked at. The only downside is having to buy your equipment, but you typically pay a monthly "rental" fee on cable gear so you're paying either way.

I like having my services diversified, so if one goes out they all don't go out. I had considered getting the triple play package through time warner, but then my cable went out and I only lost my Internet, I could still watch TV through DTV and use my land line through Empire Telephone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
    They only renew if you get new equipment form them at a discount.
    This is true. You can lease or own the equipment. Leasing isn't bad 'cause they'll help you fix them if something happens.

I forgot to mention, there is NO TRUE HD on Cable. I think... shidoshi(?) mentioned that here sometime in the past. I'm not sure how I even remember that. Cripes. But, yeah. DirectTV gives you far better picture quality.

Any FIOS testimonials? I've been curious myself.

10. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    I forgot to mention, there is NO TRUE HD on Cable. I think... shidoshi(?) mentioned that here sometime in the past.
    Well...I mean, I have HD channels, they broadcast in 1080i, the highest broadcast resolution available. Unless he meant something else.