Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top 10 PSOne RPGs

1. Your Top 10 PSOne RPGs

10. Wild Arms

- At the time I was use to the whole three character party and wasn't to thrilled but it eventually grew on me as did the 2D world and suddenly being thrown into an ugly 3D battle. The game did have a decent story and interesting characters. The fake ending was also a nice touch.

9. Vandal Hearts

- While Vandal Hearts didn't have that deep of a system, it was still a very enjoyable game. I still remember being suprised seeing the word "shit" in the begining of the game.

8. Grandia

- I know this isn't the version of choice but I still really enjoyed the game and it was a nice departure story wise from all the serious rpgs that were released at the time.

7. Final Fantasy IX

- I actually never played the game until last year but it graphically it held up and it was nice to see a FF game with a 4 party group again. I haven't finished it yet but I have really enjoyed the game, it reminds me of the SNES FFs.

6. Xenogears

- I remember reading about this game when it came out in Japan and how it would never see a release in the US. Well it did and I got it the Christmas it came out. I really liked how you could you battle in the giant mechs but also fight as the characters with a weird combo system.

5. Final Fantasy VII

- Not much to say about this game since pretty much everyone has played it.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics

- It took me awhile to really like this and get into but it just blows Vandal Hearts out of the water in every possible way.

3. Suikoden

2. Castlevania: SotN

1. Suikoden II
    Last edited by Hot Like Wasabi; 01 May 2008 at 11:04 PM.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

2. Honestly, your list is mine. Those are really the cream of the crop. I probably would have bumped FFVII a little further up, but every game on that list I've played through probably twice. As an aside, the PS1 era was probably THE best for JRPG's, I don't think I've played half as many RPG's since 2 generations ago.
    Last edited by George; 01 May 2008 at 10:42 PM.

3. So many red x's, so little time.

4. I recommend using the attach feature. Right now nobody can see your images. As for the list, I think you're going to take some heat for not including Vagrant Story, but other than that those are the best ones - though I don't see SotN as an rpg.

I was also a big fan of Legend of Dragoon in its time, though I understand if others weren't.
    Last edited by StriderKyo; 01 May 2008 at 10:54 PM.
    -Kyo

5. Not a bad list. Personally, I would remove FFIX and bump FFVIII to the top of the list. I also don't really see SotN as a proper RPG, but it's awesome enough that I can let it slide.

Also, kudos for leaving Chrono Cross off the list (major letdown in every imaginable way).
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. I actually really liked Legend of Dragoon, especially the combat system, which was great for me because I loved getting the timing down for all the combos and such. There was just something about it though that made it second-tier, though I can't put my finger on any one element that made it that way.

I think maybe I'd replace the first Suikoden with Star Ocean 2, not because Suikoden wasn't good but because the second one overshadows it in every way, and also because I played through SO2 about 4 times.

7. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    Personally, I would remove FFIX and bump FFVIII to the top of the list.
    Wrong.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Wrong.
    This is gonna have to be one of those "agree to disagree" moments. VIII's story had me hook, line, and sinker (so much that I was able to look past the lackluster battle system). IX might have had better gameplay, but the story felt like bad leftovers. It's a rut that the series has been stuck in ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

9. Also noting, some of the sequels of those on the list turned out really bad. Vandal Hearts 2, Xenosaga, Wild Arms 2.

Breath of Fire III and IV were also pretty good, I liked seeing Capcom's detailed animations.

10. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Yeah, yeah... Sega CD blah blah Working Designs yadda yadda yadda whatever. I love that game.

Front Mission 3

Harvest Moon: Back To Nature

Vagrant Story. If SotN can be listed, this certainly can.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It's very cute.

I don't have 5 more. And 3 of my 5 might not even count... Hm.